Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre accommodations

Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola or Riomaggiore? Which village would be the best base for 2 nights in May?
Walking and eating will be our main activities.

Posted by
15174 posts

I never spent nights in 5 terre because my summer house was within 40 minutes from Riomaggiore by motorcycle, therefore within an easy commute. But I've been there many times. All of them should work because there are so many regional trains traveling back and forth between Spezia and Genova that you never have to wait longer than a few minutes to hop into one and shuttle back and forth between the 5 villages. Monterosso is the biggest town and has the best beach, in May that might be usable. All other towns have mostly rocky spots. Monterosso also has more accomodations. The prettiest towns from afar are probably Vernazza and Corniglia. My favorite walk was from Monterosso to Vernazza and Vernazza to Corniglia. What I don't like about Corniglia is that the station is a long walk from "downtown" through several flights of stairs (although there is a shuttle bus). That makes it a little more difficult to hop on trains and go back and forth. All other towns have the stations right there in the core of the village or underground inside the mountain (Riomaggiore). Monterosso's station is just outside "downtown" in front of the beach, but it's an easy walk through the tunnel. The via dell'amore is also nice to walk, although I think they just closed it for a landslide. The via dell'amore is between Manarola and Riomaggiore. I'd suggest to stay wherever you find the accommodations you like. I just wouldn't stay in Corniglia because of the distance from the station, but if you don't care about the long walk, Corniglia is nice as well.

Posted by
14 posts

Hello Jeff I wasw born in Vernazza (The best) I suggest look to Ricksteves book and at Tripadvisor Vernazza Bed and Breakfast look on the lefr side "traveller rating" and choose the best for you
giacomo from vernazza

Posted by
121 posts

We've stayed in Monterosso twice and have loved it each time. We use it as a central location for visiting the rest of the towns in Cinque Terre. There's more to do at night and there is a nice variety of restaurants. We usually stay a week at a time. You should be aware that the Lemon Festival is held in Monterosso in May, so that may affect the dates that you can find rooms. People from all 5 towns come to celebrate. I highly recommend staying at Villa Steno or the Pasquale Hotel (right on the beach). They are both owned by the Pasini Family and will treat you very well. There are websites available to check out both places.

Posted by
1446 posts

Jeff, I also suggest Monterosso. It's the largest of the 5 towns and offers more options for lodging as well as restaurants. It's also the "flattest" of the 5 towns and easy to walk around. I would suggest staying in the old town section.

Posted by
38 posts

Love Lida's place in Riomaggiore... great price 70 Euro per night.
Very clean and super comfortable. Very Very friendly and helpful service from owner Gianni and his wife Lida. Just steps away from the train station... so super convenient to get to the other town. We were just there last week when the trails were closed due to the rock slides... got great ideas from Gianni about alternatives.