Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hello:
We are thinking of driving from Siena where we will spend four nights, to La Spieza as a base for then exploring the CT five towns. Can anyone tell me about La Spieza and recommend a hotel there and advise on the ease of basing there for daily boats and trains with some hikes through the CT? The better places to stay in the towns themselves are booked in our price range. Time frame is third week in October 2019. Thanks.

Posted by
16895 posts

Maybe you should tell us your exact dates and budget. For a double? For instance, I see a few of our recommended hotels in Monterosso available mid-week, Oct. 15-17 for 150 euros/double.

Train service from La Spezia runs every half hour but I think boat service is less frequent to/from this port (check navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/), and of course travel times are longer for each. La Spezia is a pretty standard port city with none of the small-town charm of the Cinque Terre.

Posted by
898 posts

I am not sure why you want to drive since the trains are quick and easy from Florence, but - anyway...

We stayed in Levanto just north of CT when we went to the area and really liked its more workaday vibe. Great seafood at a reasonable price too. Booking.com shows 25 properties there with ratings of 9+ available October 14 to 19. As RS suggests you can try to contact the hotels/guesthouses/apartments directly for a better rate, but the Booking site at least gives you locations and price ranges.

Good luck!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for your replies. We have a car for our use in Tuscany and need the car to be returned in Spoleto on October 22. Would take trains from La Spezia to the town. Dates are October 17-21. Budget $150 ish for rooms. Will check some of the options you mentioned.

Posted by
16409 posts

Mallory, do take a look at Levanto, as RJean suggested? We've seen some positive reports on that one versus La Spezia as an alternative to staying in the CT itself. It's just 4 minutes by train from Monterosso.

Posted by
5687 posts

I've stayed in Levanto a few times and really like it. A great base for exploring the CT towns but car-friendly.

Posted by
7737 posts

The heartache with the CT is this: They're most beautiful in the May-September period, which is also (duh) when they are most crowded. October will find them not as crowded but not as beautiful.

Happy travels.

Posted by
5687 posts

I first visited the Cinque Terre in early October, and it seemed beautiful enough to me!

Posted by
1241 posts

Please consider other's opinions and check out Levanto instead of La Spezia. It is a much nicer town and much closer.

Posted by
585 posts

I would suggest Portovenere except that it is not on the railway and you would need to rely on the boats to get to the CT. You are looking at late Oct. and the boat service may not be very reliable due to heavy seas. Like others I would suggest Levanto as a better base as you have choice of train or boat. Also consider the cruise traffic...La Spieza is the port for cruise ships and the trains fill up quickly there with day visitors, even that late in the season.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Levanto seems like a great option. We are going for the views, to experience the towns and the walks, not for the beaches or sunning. We were on the Amalfi coast during the same time frame two tears ago and it was still quite warm. I would think it will be much cooler being north but should we still expect pretty decent weather?

Posted by
127 posts

I concur with Levanto too. It is a nice town and there is a wonderful hike along the coast from Levanto to Monterosa. The views are fabulous and it is not part of the Cinque Terra National Park so there is no cost. The train ride from Monterosa to Levanto is very frequent and quick. La Spieza is a port city and not very picturesque.

Posted by
32331 posts

Mallory,

While Levanto is a good option, you could also very easily stay in Monterosso, which is not far from Levanto and actually part of the Cinque Terre. There is pay parking available there, both in the new town and the old town. Some hotels also have limited parking for guests.

If the boats are still running, staying in Monterosso will provide more frequent access, as they don't go to Levanto as often. It will also provide easier access to the trails, if you plan on doing any hiking.

In the third week of October, it's likely that crowds won't be as much of a problem so you should be able to get a room in Monterosso. However weather could be an issue at that time of year, regardless of where you stay. My favorite hotel there is Hotel Villa Steno but any of the others are also good. Check the guidebook for listings.

Posted by
145 posts

I agree with those recommending you re-think La Spieza. It's farther away than you think, and not particularly pretty. If you really want to experience CT, stay there (even if the rooms are more expensive; you'll save on travel to and from). Besides, CT is best in the early morning and evening, when the other tourists go home.

If you can't get a room in CT, stay nearby. I have family in the area (Sestri Levanti, Chiavari, etc.). Trains run several times an hour from those places to CT. They aren't gorgeous tourist destinations, but they are real little Italian towns.

Don't worry about seeing all 5 towns in CT. Pick one (I recommend Vernazza; stay at the Pensione Sonriso) and make it your base. Then hike to the one on the left or the one on the right. They aren't different enough to need to see all 5. Eat at Aristide in Manarola. Take a boat tour up and down the coast.

Avoid Portofino unless you have a big yacht.