Please sign in to post.

CINQUE TERRE

Has anyone ever stayed in the village of Corniglia before? Specifically "Magia"? Thanks all

Posted by
16 posts

Cinque Terre is a wonderful place to visit and hands down my family favorite in Italy. Corniglia is the most difficult of the five towns to visit. It is the only town of the five that is not on the water. You must wait for the bus at the train station or walk the hundreds of steps uphill to the town. We always stay in the new part of Monterosso in an apartment that we rented thru arbaspaa.com. Monterosso is a nice town with great beaches, great food and very easy to walk to the train station. Corniglia is a small town and you are very high up on the mountain away from the train station. But you can't go wrong with any part of Cinque Terre!!!! It is wonderful!!!

Posted by
13 posts

Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Cinque Terre in July? Is it really hot? Better to wait until fall?

Posted by
10344 posts

Jane: About the weather, no one here knows for sure. The average high dew point in La Spezia (which is near the CT) in July is 67 degrees, that's a dew point, not a temp. Most people perceive that it's starting to get "humid" when the dew point is over about 60 and find a dew point of 67 to be noticeably humid. The average dew points are more comfortable in September. Early to mid Sept are probably better than late Sept. * * * Maybe someone will post about their weather experience in July and Sept. I've been there in Sept and the weather was pleasant, but some people have been there in Sept and had bad weather luck. When people post about their personal experience with weather, it's good to remember that weather in the same place can vary significantly from year to year. In the meantime, hopefully you'll find this website helpful, some think it's the best long-range weather info on the web: http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp * * * When you get to the site, for location input La Spezia, Italy, that's close to the Cinque Terre. Input dates in July and you'll get the last 10 years of actual weather for that time span, nicely summarized at the top, with the details below. Then input a time span in September and compare. Of course, in the end, these are just averages. No one knows what the weather will be the year you go. But the long range historical data at least gives you something to go on.

Posted by
791 posts

Really not much in Corniglia. No beach,I wasn't overly impressed with the food we had there,the least picturesque of the 5 and the hardest to get to from the train. CT in July.....would worry more about the crowds in July than the weather.

Posted by
78 posts

we stayed in Vernazza in October, 2008 and had fantastic weather. It would be more difficult on the walk in wet, slippery weather.Re. where to stay, we loved Vernazza as it is a beautiful small village with an easy stroll down to the harbour or the train. arrived at 8.30 pm and thought we were in Dreamworld with the lights leading to the harbour.IMHO Vernazza or Monterosso only choice for stay unless you are a mountain goat.Cheers

Posted by
10225 posts

We were in the CT last week. It was beautiful the day we arrived. It rained for at least the next 3 days. I don't know how the weather was after we left. Weather is unpredictable. It was pouring rain the day we left CT and arrived at Lake Como. The next two days were perfect.

Posted by
22 posts

We will be in CT in May next year - any body know the year at that time?

Posted by
7737 posts

You'll get the best weather information from the site mentioned above. Individual anecdotes don't really tell you anything. One of my favorite quotes is "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." Have a great time.

Posted by
44 posts

I was there this past July...HOT. Don't forget most accommodations in the CT don't have air conditioning. Corniglia is probably not the best choice, BUT there is a small foccacia shop that had other worldly pesto foccacia....

Posted by
144 posts

We were there in the summer of 2008 and did the hike. It was slippery and hot. We are in pretty good shape, and we got soaking wet with sweat. Our apartment in Monterosso had AC but the owner did not want to turn it on. He finally did, but it was like pulling teeth. If you hike, take water and have good shoes. You could also get mud on whatever you wear. It is a pretty hike though. Thanks - Bill

Posted by
58 posts

We were there second week in Sep and the weather was perfect, although it rained the day we left. It was not cool but also not hot. We sweated signofocantly on the hike from Monterosso to Venazza. Beautiful scenery, but I would say in places it was difficult and trreacherous on goat paths with sharp dropoffs and two way traffic. We stayed in Manarola at the recommended Casa Capellini in the top apt. It was great and I would highly recommend it. The water was cool and jumping off the rocks was a blast - even if you can't swim, you can't sink - float like a cork. I could have floated for days.

Posted by
7 posts

I really do not recommend Corniglia since it is the smallest, least active, and will be the hardest to get to your room! I have been to CT three times, and have stayed in Riomaggiore all three. Honestly, it will most likely be hot, but thats what makes the water so appealing! Its so beautiful you truly will not notice the weaher.

Posted by
10 posts

We were in CT last year at this very time. Weather was absolutely perfect for the 3 days we were there. Sunny with temps in the upper 70's. Walked a lot, sweated a lot. Stayed in Vernazza and would not hesitate to stay there again. Probably our favorite of the 5 towns.