Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

In your opinion, is the Cinque Terre too crowded and touristy in June and July to really be enjoyed? I'm trying to decide whether to go there on my 10-day trip in Italy. Thanks.

Posted by
359 posts

June/July the CT (as most of Italy) would generally be crowded but this year is unpredictable after the storm/damage to Vernazza and Monterosso. There could be more crowds or less crowds than usual.
Crowded or not the CT is a beautiful area but with only 10 days in Italy the choice is yours.

Posted by
32222 posts

Carol, I'd suggest scheduling your visit in June if possible. While it will be crowded to some extent, it won't be as bad as July. I was there in September, and it was crowded then as well. I stayed in Monterosso then, and didn't find the crowds to be a problem (the town is larger so seemed to be able to "absorb" the crowds better). IMO, the area is definitely worth a visit! One other point to note is that authorities are hoping to have all the trails open by Easter. Happy travels!

Posted by
167 posts

Carol, My wife and I were there in late July three years ago, probably at the height of the tourist season and not once was I bummed or thought to myself--there's too many people here! I only saw about ten people on the four mile hike between cities... it was very serene. Now, the beaches were a bit crowded, but I was expecting that and it didn't bother me in the least... It made it feel more like a party--fun if you like to people watch. However, if you isolated "virgin beaches," then it's the wrong time to go, or maybe even the wrong place to go. Another consideration is to go when it's the hottest weather possible so that you can enjoy the Ligurian Sea... it's awesome to wade and swim in!!! Pete

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks so much for all of your advice and suggestions. I'm planning on going to the Amalfi Coast, in particular to see all the archaelogical ruins. Our 10-days in Italy are getting pretty tight. For anyone who has gone to both the Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast, do you think we'd be missing out on a lot by skipping Cinque Terra and just going to the Amalfi Coast? Are they that different? I'm taking my 13-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter and am trying to plan plenty of things they'll like too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Carol

Posted by
252 posts

Carol, with only 10 days I would choose just one. And, after reading your other post, if crowds are a big concern of yours, Italy in the summertime may not be your best destination choice.