Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Where do we stay? We will be there in the beginning of April!

Posted by
53 posts

Hello Theresa,

I have been to the Cinque Terre twice. It is great! The first time I visited in February and lucked out with perfect weather. Because it was low season there I stayed at the Hotel Porto Venere which I imagine is a splurge in the high season. It is not actually in the Cinque Terre but is accessible via a local bus and train to all five villages. In April it might still be slow and the town (Portovenere) is at the southern end of the Italian Riviera Levante. Anyway, do a little research on it. If you stay in the area more than two days it might be the best place to stay. It is a romantic town with a couple of sites to see. The second time I went was in 2009. I arrived in Vernazza late in the morning and just followed signs that stated rooms were available. This was in July at the height of the season. If you speak, or at least read some Italian you can probably just show up in April w/o any reservations and score a simple and cheap room in a house. It really depends on your goal. If it is a honeymoon-type stay then you might want to try the village of Monterosso which is the real resort town of the Cinque Terrre. The Rick Steves' guide to Italy has a great section on the Cinque Terre and in one addition I know he includes the name of a fellow that waits for the trains to arrive and finds rooms for people. These days, many people are daytripping the area. So, you might not need a reservation. It helps to pack very light. Good luck!

Will

Posted by
44 posts

We are going to Italy next year for 19 days; our 2nd trip and will be spending 4 nights in CT. I would strongly suggest you get any of Rick Steve's books which are the best source of info we have found. We love him!! There are ssoo many places you have to choose from, I know you won't have a problem. Myself, I would choose to stay in one of the 5 CT villages since it's only for one night. I have a feeling you'll wish you would have stayed longer, and we haven't even been there yet ourselves!
Best of luck and happy traveling!

Posted by
1446 posts

Theresa, you probably won't have a problem finding a room for the beginning of April. I would suggest staying either in Monterosso or in Vernazza. Monterosso is larger than Vernazza with more amenities and restaurants and it is relatively flat whereas Vernazza is smaller, more quaint and hilly. We stayed in old town Monterosso at a great hotel called Albergo Margherita. It was modern, clean and comfortable and it included a wonderful breakfast buffet which was incredible. You will love the CT!!

Posted by
1003 posts

Daytripped in to the C.T. for the first time in June 2002 and knew we had to return. In early July 2006 we spent 3 nights in Vernazza in a funky apartment that the owner of Pizzeria Vulnetia (in Vernazza) rents out, located on the main drag. In July 2009 stayed in Francamaria's rooms in Vernazza. Rooms 1, 2 and an apt. have wonderful views of the harbor and square and hardly any steps. Would stay here again.

Posted by
811 posts

Vernazza should be ok in April. it's not too busy and you can look for rooms just by asking any shop owners. either they have a room for rent, or know somebody has a room. don't worry about it too much, the villagers will take care of you!

Posted by
44 posts

Just got back. Stayed 8 nights out of 2 weeks in Cinque Terra. Booked ahead for 3 nights at Hotel Pasquale in Monterosa - really nice - probably best in town with all rooms with beach view. They were booked for rest of Oct so we were a walk in at Hotel Biai. Not as modern but had balcony on sea and more earthly Italian. We think the other towns would be too quite for a long stay. Almost stayed in Riomarggio and glad we did not. Book ahead for Hotel Pasquel.

Posted by
358 posts

I agree stay at the Albergo Pasquale hotel which is near the beach and the entrance to the old town. They have a restaurant next door and serve good pesto dishes. This is in Monterosso al Mare my favorite of the 5 towns. Another RS tour was booked at the Pasquale and our RS tour stayed at the Hotel Punta Mesco which is in the new town in a quiet location near the recommended launderette.

Posted by
32212 posts

Theresa, I'd suggest having a look at the "Italy 2011" Guidebook, as that will provide information not only on the "character" of each of the five villages, but also good places to stay. In early April, the C.T. will probably still be somewhat "quiet" so you shouldn't have any problems finding accommodation. Easter doesn't occur until Apr. 24th, so you shouldn't have to deal with holiday issues. Monterosso (the most northerly village) is the largest and therefore has the greatest selection of Hotels and Restaurants. It also has the best beach (although early April will probably not be "beach weather"). Vernazza is very popular with many here, but you could also have a look at Manarola (if you have a generous budget, look at www.torrettas.com for one suggestion). The lodgings in Riomaggiore tend to be a bit more "informal", which I don't mind as I usually travel solo. Happy travels!