Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hi all,

September trip to Italy for my wife and I...and a 1 day trip up to cinque terre. If we could visit 3 of the 5 towns, what thoughts do you all have on the best 3 to prioritize?

Posted by
32331 posts

Are you visiting the Cinque Terre as a day trip from somewhere else? How much time will you have there?

If you can only visit three, my suggestion would be Manarola, Vernazza and Monterosso. Time your sightseeing so that you arrive in Monterosso at about dinner time. You can have a fine meal at one of the restaurants there and then return to wherever you'll be staying.

Posted by
53 posts

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply! We’re coming from Florence, trying to arrive by 930am(taking the first Florence train out). and it appears there are some rather late trains back to Florence so dinner in monterrosso sounds good!

Suggestions on dinner?

Posted by
872 posts

I suggest you take the train from the Firenze Campo di Marte Station at 7:28AM, connecting to the local train at La Spezia:

https://oraritreniitalia.com/orari-treno-regionale-21182

The idea is to arrive before the main crush of day trippers. You would most likely return to the SM Novella station from Monterosso. Try and pick a day without cruise ships in port. You will spend around 7 hours on trains and going to and from stations.

Posted by
145 posts

I'd stay over if at all possible. A day trip will ensure you experience the worst, not the best, of CT. It is MUCH nicer in the early morning and evening, when most of the tourists are gone.

Seeing 3 towns isn't necessary. They have differences, but are very similar. Pick 1. I recommend Vernazza (stay at Pension Sonriso) or Manarola (eat at Aristide). If your family are hikers, do a one-day walk to the one on the left or the one on the right.

Have fun.

Posted by
34 posts

Hello we will be there in Sept also. Heading there from Florence on A sunday, the only day with no cruise ship going into the port.
The link from Ken gave goes from La Spezia Centrale Regionale 21182 to the CT towns.
Which town should we start with and end with to get back to La Spezia?