Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

WE ARE DAY TRIPPING FROM NEAR AREZZO WHERE WE HAVE A VILLA RENTED AND WANTED TO VISIT CINQUE TERRE KNOW ABOUT 2 3/4 HOUR DRIVE BUT ONLY HAVE THE DAY.. HAVE 3 CHILDREN TRAVELLING WITH US 5 - 13 AND 10 ADULTS.. lOOKING ATT STARTING IN RIOMGGIORE AND WANT TO HAVE LUNCH SOME PLACE OVERLOOKING WATER..ANY SUGGESTIONS

Posted by
32320 posts

Judy, that IS a bit of a drive from the Arezzo area. The return trip would be about six hours, so that doesn't leave much time for touring the villages of the Cinque Terre. Did I read your Post correctly that you will have TEN adults travelling with you?

If you're sure you want to do take the trip, get an early start! There are two ways you could approach this:

1.) Drive to La Spezia, find parking and take the small local train to Riomaggiore. It's only about an eight minute trip by train. There's information on parking in Rick's Italy book.

2.) Drive to Riomaggiore. I arrived by train, but I believe there's parking at the top of town, with a small shuttle Bus to take visitors to the main center. Again, check Rick's book for details.

There are a few restaurants "overlooking the water" but you might consider Bar & Vini A Pie de Ma, which is located close to the beginning of the famed "via del'Amore" (as you're facing the entrance to the train station, go up the stairs to the right).

Happy travels!

Posted by
157 posts

I was just in Riomaggiore this past week - although I do not know the names of the various restaurants where we ate I can tell you the 'best' one we ate in is in the heart of town - from the train station take the long tunnel that is on your right - when you exit the other end walk up the slope about 100 feet - the restauarant is on your left - it is enclosed with views of the town and has moderate air conditioning. The food was fine - but not great by any definition - but it was better than the others we ate at during our stay.

If you drive and do not take the train - park at the TI office and walk to the bottom of the hill it will be on your right just before you get to the tunnel I referenced above.

There is a good gelatto shop on the path leading up from the harbor towards the boat stop.

The town is great - even if the food is tourist quality

Fior a real good view work your way up high on the town. Have fun there!

Posted by
32320 posts

Kevin, I think the restaurant you referred to is La Lanterna. I some great meals there (anything with Pesto is fine with me!), but from your post it sounds like the quality might be "slipping" a bit.

Cheers!

Posted by
2 posts

Yes 10 adults and 3 kids.. Family vacation Thanks to all for the tips..