Please sign in to post.

cinque terre

looking for a recommendation on a fun/quaint/pleasant place to stay for two nights in a cinque terra town other than Vernazza and Monterosso. I'm thinking they won't really be up and going yet for tourism. How about Riomaggiore?

Posted by
6898 posts

A lot of people don't realize that Riomaggiore is the other large CT town. It's almost as large as Monterosso but you would never know it. A lot less crowded as well but that could be different with the flood situation. The one hotel that I keep seeing a lot written about is the Locanda del Sole. Here's a link to TripAdvisor so that you can see the other dozen or so hotels. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187821-Riomaggiore_Cinque_Terre_Italian_Riviera_Liguria-Hotels.html

Posted by
32219 posts

elaine, Actually, Monterosso opened for the season at the beginning of April, and the majority of businesses are open and ready for visitors. Keep in mind that only the "old town" section was damaged by the floods, and the newer part wasn't affected for the most part. Vernazza is also open for the season, and ready for visitors to return. Of course, the damage was much more severe there so it will take longer to restore the town to it's "normal" state. If you'd like links to the status of businesses in each town, post another note. Riomaggiore is also a great choice, as is Manarola. What type of accommodations are you looking for and in what price range? I'm currently trying to book accommodations in Monterosso for September, and finding the same difficulties as last year. It's proving to be a bit of a challenge and so far I've only been able to find a room for 4 nights; I still have to find a room somewhere for 1 night. I'd suggest getting a room reserved well in advance of your trip. Happy travels!