Please sign in to post.

cinque terre

Our plans are firming up thanks to all your help. the only thing I haven't been able to nail down is the CQ portion. Manarola or Vernazza for an older couple? La Torretta?sp - one of Rick's suggestions - are closing for the winter for renovations. it seemed like a nice tranquil place. has anyone seen it or been there? My only reservation about the places in Vernazza is that they seem to be geared more towards young singles. and albergo Barbara does not book so far in advance either. Not a lot of friendly stasff there from the comments I read. what do you think?

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks so much. i think we are on the same page. i got the same impression about Vernazza. do you remember where you stayed?

Posted by
304 posts

For an older couple (like my wife & I) I would definitely say Manarola over Vernazza. Vernazza is the most scenic town in the CT, but is a party place in the evening during the summer. You can easily check out the town, eat at Il Pirata, enjoy a glass of wine while watching the sunset down at the breakwater, then get out of Dodge and catch the train to Manarola or Riomaggiore. We booked a room with a terrace. Lots of them in Manarola & Riomaggiore (not many in Vernazza). It made all the difference for us.

Posted by
32214 posts

joyce,

What time of year will you be travelling there? You might also have a look at lodgings in Monterosso. It's the largest of the five villages and has the best selection of both Hotels and Restaurants. The terrain is mostly "flat", which might be preferable for "an older couple".

Check the Italy Guidebook or TripAdvisor for suggested Hotels.

Happy travels!

Posted by
8 posts

Joyce- glad you started this thread...
We will be there at there the beginning of Nov. Will some or most things be open? We have a group and are planning to drive around Italy. Is there Parking anywhere? Outside of the villages?
Thank you!

Posted by
10344 posts

Julia: If you haven't been there before, driving to the Cinque Terre can blindside you with overnight parking problems you didn't anticipate.

Here's a website that explains some things about why the locals do not recommend driving to the CT:

http://www.cinqueterre.com/eng/information/cinque_terre/where_car.php

Notice the website begins with:

"It must be said that the car is not the recommended transportation to visit the Cinque Terre." It goes on to explain why. They know what they're talking about.

Most people here take the train to and from the CT, and rent a car to see parts of Italy that are not so problematic by car, such as Tuscany.

November will be better than some other months, but it's still something we should give you a heads up on, so you can think about it.

Posted by
8 posts

Kent,
We don't really Want to drive...It's just that it is seeming difficult to get from CT to Florence or Montepulciano ( where my daughter is...she is doing study abroad) on Nov. 4th. We need to Pick up a Rental along the way to there...and it needs to be a Van for 8...not always available...

We would like to see Pisa along the way... and a van also lets us stop in Bologna, along the way to CT.

I have been on Trentalia and it seems that the trains are limiting....they show 4 options...with alot saying n/a

I guess we could just go:

Ven to Ct by train
Ct to Chuisi- nearest to Montepulciano

and then have to get somewhere by train or bus to get a van...

I do really,really appreciate the Heads-up and will work on this today...

Posted by
204 posts

Joyce

We are of the older persuasion as well and booked a room (Maria Franca Room # 1) for May next year. It has only a couple of steps up to the room and is right on the harbour. She accepted our reservation this far in advance and asked me to contact her again in February to verify again.

Julia

We are traveling by train in May next year from Venice to CT (staying in Vernazza) train travel, ferries to other CT towns - Renting a car in La Spezia - driving to Pisa, Volterra and back roads down to Montepulciano. We rented from Avis who have an office in La Spezia. The central rail station is there where you have to switch to a local train to get to the CT.

Hope this helps you both
Enjoy your trips

Posted by
8 posts

Shelley-
Thank you for the information...I think I checked La Spezia...the problem is the size of the vehicle that we need..a van for 8! But, I am still working on it...I prefer this itinerary...train it and then a van!
Julia

Posted by
13 posts

Joyce, we always stay in VErnazza and have loved it each time. The last 2 times we stayed in rooms from Martina roomartina.com.

Julia, WE have rented cars (never vans, but...)in Chusis and number of times. The one catch is that the office closes at 1pm on Saturdays, which is always when we are coming. Just somehitng to be aware of. I use Gemut.com, Bob Bestor to rent through, but he usually finds cars for us from AutoEurope. He is very knowledgeable and can probably give advice on where to find a van.

Posted by
8 posts

Tara-
thank you! I have sent an e-mail to Bob...We will be there on a Wed eve..so, maybe we can get something Thurs morning..for a few days...and return to Florence...or train to Florence...

all-
thank you so much! this is a big project!
Julia