Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre?

I thought I had our itinerary totally set and am now second guessing it! We are going in September. 4 nights in Venice, 4 nights in Florence, 4 nights in Siena, 5 nights in Sorrento & 5 nights in Rome. Should we be trying to fit Cinque Terre in when we are in Florence or is it going to be similar to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast? Can you get on a train from Florence and do Pisa and Cinque Terre in 1 day?

Posted by
25 posts

Those than can read - should! I missed the earlier post regarding Florence and Cinque Terre. But would still like to know if it is similar to the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
32222 posts

Barb, IMO the Cinque Terre is not really similar to the Amalfi Coast. Both areas are quite unique, and have their own distinct character. The Cinque Terre is quite "informal" with five small villages overlooking the ocean. The towns on the Amalfi Coast are somewhat larger and definitely more "upscale" (and of course expensive!).

Both areas are worth visiting if you have the time.

Cheers!

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks for your response, Ken. I didn't realize that the towns on the Amalfi Coast were basically larger than those of Cinque Terre - I thought they were fairly small. Also didn't realize that Cinque Terre wasn't as expensive as Sorrento. We plan to base in Sorrento but plan to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, Positano, Ravello and Paestum. Think we may need to try to get Cinque Terre when we are in Florence after all! Thanks!

Posted by
58 posts

we are doing 2 nights in florence and 2 nights in ct...i hope its enough time!

Posted by
4 posts

Be sure to eat at Ristorante Verdemare in Sorrento. It's a place for the locals, up the hill about a 15 minute walk (or taxi or bus ride) from the center of town. Great food, homey atmosphere.

Posted by
32222 posts

Another suggestion for an awesome restaurant in Sorrento (if your budget can afford it) is L'Antica Trattoria. It's listed in Rick's Italy book as a "splurge". I had an incredible meal there recently and the service was outstanding (it definitely was a splurge though!).

Posted by
25 posts

Great suggestions - thanks! It's always so fun to have good recommendations to look forward to. You all are the best - I've become addicted to this site!

Posted by
81 posts

We spent 2 full days in Florence and a full day in Siena and that was enough for us. That didn't include any side trips but just seeing the city. I spent 2 1/2 days in CT and loved it! But you need to spend the night up there to really enjoy it. We spent a day in Assisi (day trip from Florence or Rome) and really enjoyed that too. CT is a place to relax and if you like walking/hiking, you'll like it even more. There are a lot of American's and Aussie's there.

Posted by
41 posts

If you plan on doing some hiking, then I would definitely go to Cinque Terre! I think I enjoyed it even more than the Amalfi Coast (but that's just personal preference).

Posted by
7 posts

I just returned from 3 weeks in Italy. Rome and Florence are amazing! Wish I had gone to Siena and hated Venice! Venice is pretty far by train and is over-run with tourists and pigeons. We stayed 3 nights and 2 days in Venice and that was way too long.

Please go to Cinque Terre! Especially if you love the water. We stayed in Vernazza which is the best city in my opinion. Very unique, very laid back and relaxing and has the best Gelato in the whole country. Try the Cinnamon Gelato at the Gelataria by the water.

Sorrento and Amalfi are not at all similar to CT. Very different! Like already mentioned.....Sorrento & Amalfi are pretty ritzy compared to CT. Loved both though.

Posted by
555 posts

Vernazza is a slice of heaven. NOTHING that I've ever seen and we were there like you in September, which is perfect. Can be cool and windy or sunny and beautiful. Hike between the towns for the best view of the Med ever. If you don't believe me, look at any Rick Steves DVD or PBS program and at the end, you'll see him coming out of a red phone booth. The next shot is of Vernazza from the hiking trail. I made up my mind before we left that I would get that shot. Took me climbing 600 feet up and 1 1/2 miles, but I did. Enjoy.

Posted by
152 posts

Hi Barb. As other's have suggested, CT is for most of us, a must stay, and I think you need 2 nights (assuming you plan on hiking)We spent 3 nights in mid May and enjoyed every second. Vernazza is the jewel for sure. We loved Siena (stayed right in the centre of things at Pallazo Masi right off Il CAMPO). I'll second the suggestion that 2 nights will really allow you to see the major sites (The Duomo is beyond description) and to experience the city. Everyone has different opinions about Venice. We spent 3 nights and we're madly in love with the place. Yes it can be crazy, but in such a wonderful way. We spent 2 nights in Florence (could have used another night) but we did manage to see a great deal. And of-course Rome. So...if you reduce Siena to 2 nights, you could easily spend 2 nights in CT. Please do not try and do CT as a day trip from anywhere. You just won't get a sense of things. After a day of hiking, we returned to Vernazza, went down to the sea wall with a bottle of wine, looked out at the ocean beside many locals and contemplated life. By early evening the day trippers pull out, and then the place becomes magical. Dinner on the square by the ocean (we loved the Vulnetto restaurant), eating fresh seafood caught by Vernazza's one remaining fisherman, children playing soccer in the sqaure, church bells chimming... paradise....

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you all for your responses. I really love to hear how others travel. It's so interesting to hear how people perceive the same place so differently. Unfortunately, our itinerary is set - apartments paid for, etc. so we won't be able to change it at this point. We are also traveling with another couple and one of our main goals is the wine in Tuscany! I think we will try to day trip the CT but will have to make it a priority next time - and there WILL be a next time - just can't do everything in the short 21 days we will be there. I don't like to rush through - I love to try to get to "know" each place we stay. I orginally chose Sorrento over CT because we want to do Pompeii, Herculaneum & Capri. Extremely difficult decision as CT sounds absolutely heavely!

Posted by
689 posts

You won't regret your decisions. I may in the minority but CT did nothing for me at all. The Sorrentine Penninsula did. I think the Sorrento side (north side) is gorgeous, and the Amalfi Coast and its towns is amazing.

The main difference is the lack of real beaches in Sorrento. But the beaches in CT were so crowded we could find no place to sit (we were there in July/August)

And, for the record... I am one who LOVES Venice.

Posted by
555 posts

Please consider that in two days you can see all that Siena offers, and the same is true with four nights in Florence. You will not regret spending three days and two nights in the CT. It will be the most relaxing time of your entire trip. Save it for close to last. We did last fall and it was wonderful. Vernazza will steal your heart. You can NOT do the CT in a 1/2 day shared with Pisa, or even in one day. Take a night away from Venice and one from Siena and you'll be able to fit it in fine.

Posted by
46 posts

I found CT fun as a day trip, but way more overly touristed than anywhere else nearby. However, the very best part of my trip was staying a week in Lerici/ Tellaro, and day tripping a few times to the Cinque Terre. Lerici was also a lot cheaper, and there were more Italian and European Tourists than Americans. I would recommend doing that instead of Sorrento, but the rest of your Itinerary looks very good.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, all. Great suggestions, but like I said our itinerary is already set and unable to change base stays - only day trips. It is certainly great advise for our "next" trip, though!

Posted by
192 posts

September is the perfect time to travel in Italy. We go there every year. You should really spend several days in the CT - so maybe your next trip. Venice is a fabulous city. 90% of the tourists are day trippers who are there from 9:00 to 5:00. Stay away from the Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco during those hours and walk thru the rest of the city in virtual solitude. Then hit San Marco for a drink in the piazza. Also check out the islands (Murano, Burano) during the day.

Posted by
34 posts

It's amazing how many things have been put on the "next trip" list! Mike, love your advise regarding Venice. Makes total sense and yes, Murano and Burano are definitely a must this trip. My main problem at this point is how the heck I'm going to get everything home that I want to buy there. Especially with Venice being our first stop. I guess if that is my only (and, of course, it's not!) problem in life then Life is Good!

Posted by
13 posts

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Cinque Terre. We stayed in Corniglia....the only town not accessible by ferry, but trains go once an hour to all the towns. Don't miss it!!!!!