Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

(Mature Couple) Is there any part of topic subject that is accessible without a whole lot of climbing. We have health issues that make climbing difficut.

Posted by
32212 posts

Pat,

I agree with the advice given in some of the previous replies.

Staying in Monterosso would probably be the best idea as not only is it relatively flat, it also has the nicest beach. Have a look at this photo for one view.

As you have mobility issues, you won't be able to hike the trails as many travellers do. The first section from Monterosso to Vernazza would be especially difficult for you, as it involves quite a climb at the beginning.

However, as someone else suggested you could easily take the local train to Riomaggiore (the most southerly of the villages) and walk back on the famous via dell'Amore which is mostly paved and flat. There's a small Bar part way along where you can stop for a "cool one" and admire the beautiful ocean view. One point to note is that you'll require a Park Pass to walk ANY of the trails.

One other point to note is that there are usually two or three stairs to board the trains, so keep that in mind.

Happy travels!

Posted by
247 posts

Sure, I would enjoy the boat ride to different towns, the views are just breath taking. With luck get www.mariacapellini.com room on ground floor right on the harbor in Vernazza. Sit in the square with the locals, eat, drink, visit and take in all the atmosphere.

Posted by
6898 posts

There are several things that you can do without climbing. First, the train tracks go through all five towns (maybe it goes under Corniglia). On the upside of the tracks, the streets of the towns can become steep. However, on the water side, its very easy walking from the tracks down to the water. For Riomaggiore and Manarola, its only a couple of blocks down to the water. For Vernazza, its a longer distance but not difficult. Monterosso is even larger with more flat walking places.

Second, you can walk the world famous Via Dell'Amore trail from Riogmaggiore to Manarola. It's almost all flat and is even paved for most of the distance. It's a 30-minute walk.

Third, go to Monterosso and take the ferry to Portovenere for lunch. If the sea isn't too rough, the ferry will stop at all of the towns along the way. Very relaxing, extremeley scenic and no climbing.

Posted by
7737 posts

Stay in Monterosso. It's the flattest of the five and has the most to see and do without climbing. And yes, do the ferry ride from town to town. It's beautiful.

When will you be there?

Posted by
63 posts

Hello, I write from the Cinque Terre

I agree with the advice given in some of the previous replies:
-) stay in Monterosso which is flat
-) visit the other towns by train or ferry
-) walk the "via dell'amore" between Manarola and Riomaggiore

You can have an idea of what to expect having a look at http://www.cinqueterre.com/blog/tag/video

Bye