Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hi,

I'm going to Cinque Terre in July. I have booked a place in Monterosso for a couple of days. If I want to spend a bit more time in the area, does anyone have a recommendation for another village to stay in - picturesque but not most challenging to get around. I was considering Manarola or Riomaggiore. Does anyone have any suggestions as to preferred villages and hotels/accomodations in these villages?

Also, has any been to Tellaro. Is in worth a visit to stay a couple of days?
Thanks,
G

Posted by
16894 posts

Manarola is smaller than Monterosso or Riomaggiore and its www.cadandrrean.it is a lovely hotel, single 75 euros. For summer season, you may need to consider quite a few places to see who has a room available.

Posted by
211 posts

I'm in LaSpezia right now and if the crowds at the train station are an indication, there are lots of tourists here too.

Also, Riomaggiore's main street goes straight up so keep that in mind. Not sure if you consider hiking up and down a challenge every day but you will get a workout. :)

Posted by
32228 posts

Giselle,

Monterosso is about the easiest town to "get around" of the five villages. Is there any possibility you could stay a few more days in the place you have booked there, or change to another lodging in Monterosso? It will be VERY busy in the C.T. in July, so you could have some difficulty finding lodgings in any of the towns, especially since July is not far away.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I have booked three days in Monterosso and am trying to decide which town to go to after that as I have a few places tentatively booked. I have narrowed it to either Vernazza or Manerola. I appreciate any feedback about either one. As I mentioned, I am going there late July - beginning August.
Thanks,
G

Posted by
47 posts

Vernazza is gorgeous, but depending on where you stay there can be a lot of stairs to climb to reach your destination. Im not sure what you meant by "but not the most challenging to get around."

Posted by
16 posts

I expect stairs, but I may find it too challenging if it is one of the hilliest of all the towns.

Posted by
32228 posts

Giselle,

As a previous reply mentioned, you may have to deal with a lot of stairs if staying in Vernazza (depending on which place you book). Also, some of the lodgings in Manarola are "uphill" from the harbour so you'll be climbing hills each time your return to your room from the station. It's not a terribly steep hill but it will be a climb. That's why I suggested remaining in Monterosso if possible.

Some of the places in Vernazza don't provide breakfast, if that's a concern for you.

Posted by
1715 posts

Tellaro is very pretty, but also very small. It's nice to visit from Lerici for an hour or as part of a hike or for lunch, but not for days. The Cinque Terre villages are all small, and there's not a huge difference in staying in one versus another. I suggest Lerici or Chiavari or Santa Margherita Ligure as different nearby places to stay.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks. Can someone recommend the best way to get from Monarola to Lerici, as I am looking for some beach time before I fly home. Can you also recommend good beaches in Lerici?

I am making my way back to Pisa to fly home. Any suggestions as to best way to go from Lerici to Pisa? Can I take a bus to the nearest train station?

Thanks.

Posted by
32228 posts

Giselle,

For travel from Manarola to Lerici, the easiest method will be to take the Regionale train to La Spezia Centrale (about 15 minutes) and then Bus from there to Lerici. I believe the bus trip is about 35 minutes and there are frequent departures (DON'T forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding the Bus). THIS schedule should provide information on that trip.

For the trip to Pisa, just take the Bus back to La Spezia Centrale and then train to Pisa Centrale (~41M to 1H:15M, depending on which train you use).

That's the way I'd make that trip, but hopefully Roberto will spot this Thread as I'm sure he'll be able to provide more specific information.

Posted by
1 posts

How bad are the crowds in CT in late August? We plan to spend a week. Any suggestions on hotels with a view close to the water?

Posted by
32228 posts

@saunderp,

How bad are the crowds in CT in late August? We plan to spend a week. Any suggestions on hotels with a view close to the water?

The Cinque Terre will likely be VERY crowded (and hot) in August. At this late date, it could be VERY difficult to find a hotel in any of the towns, especially those "with a view close to the water". I'd suggest looking in Monterosso as it's the largest of the five towns and therefore has the greatest number of hotels and other amenities. The other towns tend to have more small private rooms and B&B's, not all of which have views of the water. Check the Guidebook or THIS LIST for possibilities. If you do find something, I suspect you'll have to adjust your budget upwards and take whatever you can find.

Good luck!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for ideas. Can I find a bus schedule in English for July and August?