Please sign in to post.

Cinque terre

I have been to Cinque Terre before and the road to Monterosso was soooo windy and scarey. I am planning on driving again from Lucca. Are all the roads into the 5 towns that windy. I was thinking of sleeping inLa Spezia to avoid those roads. Is that a good option because ,in Ricks book he says to sleep in La Spezia only as a last resort.

Posted by
32222 posts

catherine, Something else you might consider would be to park the car in La Spezia and take the local train from there to whichever of the five villages you'll be staying in. You won't need the car while you're there, and the rail trip is very short. As I recall, there are suggestions for parking listed in the Guidebook. I absolutely wouldn't sleep in La Spezia with the wonderful villages of the Cinque Terre so close. Happy travels!

Posted by
28 posts

Can I do Cinque Terre in a day from Lucca or do I need to sleep over. Assuming I arrive around 10am in La Spezia.

Posted by
29 posts

I think you can easily do it in a day trip, but why? We park in La Spezia and take the train into Vernazza, our favorite town. It is so nice to sit by the sea and eat pesto lasagna, foccaccia, and drink great wine as the day comes to a close.

Posted by
28 posts

I mean to spend the entire day - do you sleep over? Is there easy parking at the La spezia station?

Posted by
32222 posts

catherine, "Sleeping over" at least one night in the "village of choice" in the Cinque Terre is really the best method. There are accommodations available in each of the five villages. The preference of many here is Vernazza, but all are good (although Corniglia tends to be less popular given it's location). There are details on parking in La Spezia in the Guidebook.