Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre, 4 nights in May/June 2011

Is it really true that most of the residences I've seen in Rick's books do not take reservations a year ahead?? If we wait until the fall of 2010 to book, are there plenty of rooms for 2-4 people, with a balcony & sea view? I find that so hard to believe, but am hopeful that I don't have to worry about it too much!
Also, how best to book a train from Venice to Cinque. We're starting in Venice (4 nights) then taking the train to Cinque. Also, any place special to rent a car in or around the Cinque?? Thanks so much!!

Posted by
1288 posts

I can only tell you my experience. I have been to the Cinque Terre twice, both times we went in September (still high season but not as busy as the summer months. May/June would also fit this description) We booked about 6 months in advance and got our first choice both times (see the end of my post about the first experience). The second time we were booking for 4 people. Both of the places we stayed were run by locals with just a few places that they rent out. I can understand why they do not want to take reservations too far in advance. There are a few places that book for multiple locations (a booking service) and you could check with them. We used this place for our 2008 trip. It went very well:

http://www.acasa5terre.it/houses.html

There was no booking charge and it appeared to me that we were paying the same as if we booked directly with the owner. Keep in mind that many places don't take a deposit. Booking so far in advance and then trusting that someone who booked over a year in advance and has no money to lose will actually show up is probably not something many of these small business owners are willing to do. Also keep in mind that because they don't have a deposit, you are trusting that they will hold the room for you. Book only with people who have a good reputation for holding the room. That is why we used the above business on our last trip. (We had our room given away in 2003..they sent us to another place, but it was not what we had booked-a room with a terrace we could sit on that had a view)

Posted by
44 posts

Thanks for the info Connie! I will look into this further and we'll be very careful in who we book with. Rick Steve's suggestions are usually right on!

Posted by
649 posts

Pat

You can get the train from Venice St. Lucia station to CT. Some you go thru Florence and some thru Milano. Ours this year is going thru Milano then to Monterossa down to Vernazza. It will be a 5.5 hr train ride so you will lose most of a day traveling.
We are also renting a car from Avis in La Spezia which is just a 15 minute train ride from Vernazza. Make sure you make arrangements in the US for the car as it is much cheaper.

Posted by
7209 posts

Make sure you really want to spend that many nights in the CT. There's not a whole lot to do other than the trails and the sea will be frigid. The villages are small and packed with tourists during your visitation time. We spent 2 nights, walked the trail from Corniglia back to Monterosso, rented a paddle boat in the Monterosso harbor and had a few good meals and wine. 2 nights was quite sufficient for us.