Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

We are two 70 yr. olds going to the Cinque Terre beginning or May and thinking of staying in Riomaggiore or Vernazza or 5 nights. Hiked there years ago but this time will be taking trains more between towns. Want something looking at the sea. Which town would you recommend?

Posted by
82 posts

We're also going in May and are in about the same age range. I chose Monterosso as it was more flat, and we're staying in LaSpiaggia (www.laspiaggiahotel.com) in New Town with a sea view. I also liked Manuel's Guesthouse in Old Town in Monterosso, but I thought the walk uphill might be too much for my sister. Great views, though!

Posted by
10 posts

Of course each "land" is different, and Vernazza is lovely. The last time were were there we stayed in Monterossa (and just used the trains and trails to get about to the others). We stayed at the very nice at La Villa degli Argentieri, Via Fegina 120-122 19016 - Monterosso al Mare, IT , phone: +39-0187-818516... which was a bit expensive.

Posted by
29 posts

We stayed in Vernazza, at the Albergo Barbara, and had room with a terrific view of the harbor for 50 euros a night, and our shared bath was only shared with one other room. Since it's on the top floor and there's no elevator, you can get all your hiking done just getting to your room! http://www.albergobarbara.it/index.html

Posted by
500 posts

Does anyone know how often and when the earliest and latest trains between towns run? I too will be in CT in May.

Posted by
33525 posts

Lisa If you go to the FAQ at the top of the section we are in you will see that you click through to geting train information. I just did that and found that the first train is around 5 am and last around midnight, based on tomorrow. Use the link and it will give you all the train answers, throughout Europe.

Posted by
500 posts

Nigel,
Thanks. It looks like the trains run every 1 1/4 hour. It is not very obvious how to find that link.

Posted by
12313 posts

I think Vernazza is the quaintest of the group. Five nights might get a little too quiet. Monterosso has a little bit of actual beach, shopping and less climbing.