Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hello Everyone! I am planning a 1 month solo vacation in Europe in December. I spent a month in Italy a few years ago and loved it! I haven't been back and am planning to on this particular vacation. Here is my tentative itinerary: 9 days in the UK ( 3 of which will be in Bath, and 2 days to Cambridge and Jane Austen Literary tour and the rest in London); 4 days in Amsterdam (visit family); 7 days in Adria, IT (spend Christmas with Family - possibly NYE too. This also includes a few day trips in Padova and Venice); 3 days in Bologna, 3 days in either Cinque Terre or Assisi or Perugia then spend 8 days in Spain (Barcelona and another city) then home in SF. My question is this, will it be better to spend the 3 days in Assisi or Perugia than Cinque Terre (Vernazza) since it's the winter and the I read that most of the places are closed? I would appreciate any feedback regarding this. Thank you!

Posted by
12172 posts

We were in CT in late October. The weather was nice but restaurants barely stayed open past nine, which is tough when they don't open until after seven (at least). There are no particular sites to see other than relaxing near the ocean and taking some hikes. Since it's likely to be rainy, both activities may be out........I would opt for other choices in December.

Posted by
1201 posts

Weather in the CT in December can be iffy, a LOT of places will be closed. You may want to pick a spot that has more indoor activities and other options.

Posted by
7737 posts

This is an easy one. I would do Assisi over the CT in December, hands down. The Christmas decorations will be out, and Assisi is famous for their nativity displays. Tradition has it that St. Francis invented the idea (of nativity displays, not of Christmas). :-)