Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Which village of the Cinque T. would you use as your home base in order to see all 6 villages? There are 6 of us traveling together.

Posted by
153 posts

Are you counting Monterosso as two villages? Cinque Terre means "5" lands, as there are only five. We stayed in Monterosso, in the newer half, as most places were booked far in advance due to a holiday. Not wanting to risk anything after a long day's train travel, we booked the only room available despite it being in the decidedly less charming half of town. It was fine, really, we didn't mind one bit at the end of the day, we only ate breakfast and slept there. After seeing all the towns, I wouldn't pick one town over the other, but rather an accomodation over another. Were I to do it over again, we'd probably stay at an agriturismo we stumbled upon just up the hill from old Monterosso - the Buranco vineyard. If convenience is a factor, some of the less-regional trains won't stop at all the stations, so you may have to wait for a regional train to get from Monterosso/La Spezia to whatever town you planning to stay in.

Posted by
358 posts

The only city I would not stay in is Corniglia which is to far from the train station unless you want to wait for the shuttle bus.
My favorite city of the 5 is Monterosso al Mare followed by Vernazza. I want to go back to cinque terre and hike the trails between the 5 cities. We did the hike between Riomaggior and Manarola which was easy. The trail between Manarola and Corniglia was closed due to a landslide.

Posted by
358 posts

The only city I would not stay in is Corniglia which is to far from the train station unless you want to wait for the shuttle bus.
My favorite city of the 5 is Monterosso al Mare followed by Vernazza. I want to go back to cinque terre and hike the trails between the 5 cities. We did the hike between Riomaggior and Manarola which was easy. The trail between Manarola and Corniglia was closed due to a landslide.

Posted by
1003 posts

Manarola was my favorite. I personally found Vernazza and Monterosso way too touristy.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Sharon. I would suggest Monterosso or Vernazza. We stayed in a great hotel in old town Monterosso (Albergo Margherita). I liked Monterosso and enjoyed having a variety of restaurants to choose from at night. We are planning to return to the CT on our next trip and I will definitely stay in either Monterosso or Vernazza.

Posted by
16 posts

We stayed in Monterosso (in the old town) and loved it. We spent two days relaxing on the beach and one day doing the hike. If you enjoy the beach, stay in Monterosso, Vernazza's beach is very small. We stayed at the Hotel Albergo Marina and were very happy with it.

Posted by
73 posts

We stayed in Manarola at a place called Alla Porta Rossa in 2008 (http://www.allaportarossa.com/eehome.htm) and absolutely loved it! They have both apartments and rooms (we stayed in a room because there were only two of us). We were happy to be able to come back to the quiet of Manarola after days of hiking and visiting the other areas. We also felt that Manarola was less touristy than some of the others--always the tension when something makes a guidebook!

Posted by
791 posts

We stayed in Riomaggiore and loved it but would agree with Byron as to Corniglia. That's about the only place you really wouldn't want to stay in with the train connection and there's really not much there. If ya'll are looking to get a room together that may also limit your options. When I was looking for a place to stay I think I ran across only one that could accomodate more than 5 people, in Vernazza I think.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think Vernazza is the most picturesque of the group. Monterosso has more to offer, the only real beach, more restaurants, shopping and some nightlife. The only one I wouldn't choose is (I think) Corniglia. I think that's the town that isn't conveniently near the ocean. As I recall it also had a steep stairway from the train stop up into town.

Posted by
691 posts

I also prefer Manarola, i tought some of the villages
were too busy especially Vernazza.

Posted by
29 posts

Vernazza is right on the sea. If you go the right time of the year, it is great to buy a 3E raft and float after a hard day of hiking, then sit next to the sea and eat pesto lasagna or great pizza and icy beer.

Posted by
1003 posts

We have enjoyed staying in Vernazza several times as it is lovely with the harbor right there next to the square. My 2nd choice would be to stay in Manarola but as previous posters stated any would be fine except for Corniglia as it is the only village not right on the water. Have always been here in the lovely summer months and enjoy evenings in Vernazza sitting down at the waterfront. Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
121 posts

We stayed in Monterroso al Mare for a week a couple of years ago and had great access to all 5 towns as well as Porto Venere. In fact, we are returning in June and have booked rooms in Monterroso once again for another 4 nights stay. Last time we stayed at Villa Steno. This time we will be staying at Hotel Pasquale; owned by the same family as Villa Steno. Great accommodations!

Posted by
51 posts

My husband and I are active retirees in our late 60;s and early 70's. We want to go to the Cinque Terre, but don't want to lug a suitcase up 100+ steps to a room. We like to hike trails, but we wouldn't be toting suitcases there! Any suggestions on where to stay that would accomadate our needs?

Posted by
97 posts

My husband and I want to visit northern Italy and wonder about the best time to go as far as nice weather, fewer crowds. I have family north of Venice that I want to visit, as well as Cinque Terre, Tuscany and Rome (if there is time).