Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

We plan on going ot the CT area in October. We are in good shape and can handle the walk. We are thinking about a 10 day vacation.
1. Is this enough time to see the five cities
2. If it is, where would you take a day trip or two too via train (a can't miss place!)
3. Where would you stay? We are thinking of Monterosso. Any quaint pensions or apts. you would reccomend?
4. Where would you fly into? From either Milan or Genoa, would you rent a car to CT or is there transportaion to get you there?
Appreciate anyone's response to our questions as we are excited to go. We went to Rome, Florence, Venice and Sorrento 5 years ago so we welcome any support.
Thanks
Dennis

Posted by
49 posts

Are you planning on spending 10 days in the CT? That may be waaaaay too long, most people can do the whole hike between all five towns in one day. In two nights you can see it all, in my opinion!

Monterosso has the most hotels. We stayed in Vernazza which is charming but it was also completely overrun by tourists in the daytime. I think October will be much better than May crowd-wise.

In Vernazza go to the top of the town by the post office and look for the bus stop, take the panoramic ride.

Very easy to go from town to town by trains. Be very alert on any jam packed trains between the town as this is a pickpocketers heaven! There are also many ferry boats, their skeds will probably be reduced in October.

If you are looking for a long, relaxing do-nothing vacation then you will love the CT. I am a city gal and enjoyed my 2 days there but was ready to move on.

I also enjoyed the area on the Ligurian Sea further north (Rapallo, Santa Margherita .)

Posted by
1883 posts

I agree with the previous poster. 10 days in the CT is too much. We spent 3 days there, hiked one day, took a side trip to Lucca another, and just relaxed the last. That was plenty. You better rethink your trip and plan to move on to see something else, you are going to get bored. In October there is nothing going on there either, and some places will be closed for the season too. Fly into Genoa, it's closer to the CT, fly out of Milan or Florence. Spend 3-4 days in the CT, the train it to Florence, rent a car and travel around Tuscany for the other 6 days. Or, base in Florence and plan train or bus trips (it's way cheaper than renting a car, slightly less freedom)

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Dennis! The Cinque Terre is wonderful - you'll love it! I would definitely recommend staying in Vernazza over Monterosso. I can't mention any specific places to stay above what Rick recommends, but he's never done me wrong yet. I was there a year ago, and Monterosso definitely has a larger, more resort feel. Vernazza gives you more of the feeling that the few people lucky enough to be there are the only people left in the world. It's wonderfully quiet after the daytrippers leave, and is simply gorgeous at sunset. Eat at La Pirata at the top of the town. The twin brothers who run it are so much fun -- completely adds to the experience of the food. Have some hot chocolate. :)

And be sure to go to Manarola and eat at the main restaurant that Rick mentions. I ate the pesto lasagna as recommended and can say it was likely the best meal I've had in my life.

Posted by
2 posts

Ellen in Colorado: Thanks so much for the tip! I actually meant 10 days in the CT area and you defined it well as we do want to go down to Florence and spend time in the Tuscany region. Now, flying into Genoa, do you take a train or how did you get down to CT? I think we would do the three days two night thing there and head down south afterwards of which you said to take a train. I think Monterosso is where I would like to stay unless Vernazza is better. What do you think? When we are in that area, I was thinking of going to Portifino to see it for a day. What transportation do you reccomend from CT to go there? Would you do CT first, head over to Portifino then down to Florence for the last 5-6 days or fly into Florence (Tuscany)for 5-6 days, CT then Portifino and out of Milan at the end? Appreciate your reply as this helps us a lot! Anyone else who sees this email, please jump in and reply.
Thanks
Dennis in Newark, Ca