Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

How much damage was done to Vernazza and Monterossa in November 2011 by the flood? We want to return, but do not know the extent of the damage.

Posted by
15 posts

We are also going to Monterosso at the beginning of June. There is a great website. www.rebuildmonterosso.com It will tell you everything there. In addition, there are links to hotels and restaurants to see if and when they will be up and running. Vernazza has taken a harder hit than Monterosso. It appears that everything has moved along really quickly in the clean up and rebuild. I believe the main trail connecting all 5 towns is almost complete. That website should really help you out with all that.
Have fun. We are really excited about our trip.

Posted by
32219 posts

Sharon, The floods of Oct. 25th caused extensive damage in both the old town section of Monterosso and also Vernazza (Genoa and parts of Tuscany were also affected). The new town section of Monterosso was largely unaffected. However, the rebuilding efforts have been incredible, especially in Monterosso, and at the moment they're celebrating the start of tourist season with most businesses open and "business as usual". As the damage was more severe in Vernazza, it will take longer to "return to normal" there, but some businesses are now open and the residents are ready to welcome visitors. If you want to see the current status of repairs in both towns, have a look at: Monterosso Vernazza In addition to the current status, there's a LOT of information on the websites concerning the progress of repairs since the floods. Regarding the Sentiero Azurro trails, local authorities have announced that they plan to have them all open by Easter, but not sure if they're completely on schedule with that. As of today, only the Via dell'Amore is presently open. I plan on returning there in September (provided I can find a room!). Happy travels!

Posted by
16 posts

We just returned from Italy on March 29, 2012. We visited Cinque Terra and found everything is beautiful and lots going on. We did not visit Vernazza, but did stay in Manarola 2 nights with visits to Monterossa and Riomaggiore. The trail between Manarola and Vernazza is closed, probably due to damage from the slides. Also, if you're driving the road between Monterossa and Vernazza is GONE totally washed out in one huge area. Train routes work in all directions, making it possible to hike anywhere except where I mentioned above.