Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

I am traveling with my adult daugters in late May and looking for best town to stay in the Cinque Terre. I have one daughter who loves to hike and one does not, so having options is important. We all love food and wine!

Posted by
1226 posts

Monterosso al Mare. Its the largest, so has the most going on. You cam hike to other towns of the 5, or take the train, or do a combo of those. I went with my teens. We hiked to Vernazza, ate lunch, and then hiked to Corniglia and took the train back to Monterosso. The next day we took the train to Riomaggiore, hiked up and over the hill to Manarola (the coastal trail between the two that goes along the water was/is closed), ate lunch in Manarola and cliff-jumped (there's a big rock at the water-front where many people sunbathe and jump), and then took the train back to Monterosso.
The other towns are lovely too, but smaller. We found it nice to walk at night into different parts of Monterosso, which was nice. My second choice would be Manarola

Posted by
871 posts

Also Monterosso is the only one with a beach. Perhaps further advice may be helpful . Where are you coming from? Where next?

Posted by
8 posts

we are arriving from Rome then heading to Florence for a few days before ending up in Venice. Any advice welcome! I visited Tuscany last fall (and loved it! ) but wont be renting a car this time so would be interested to hear about day trips worth the effort on public transportation.

Posted by
15781 posts

drmommd95. you don't say how many days you'll be staying in the CT but I don't imagine it'll be many, nor do I recommend day trips beyond exploring the other 4 villages you won't be staying in. Monterosso is the largest of the 5 so probably a good choice for you to bunk down. Food and wine is pretty much a gimme anywhere at all in Italy, and you can't spend all DAY eating anyway so you'd be fine in Monterosso. Options? Not sure what you're looking for in a region famous for hiking trails but all of the villages have shops and churches and viewpoints to explore.

Posted by
2942 posts

A day trip I recommend taking is a direct bus from Florence to Siena (1h 15m) for the day.
When I was in the Cinque Terre, I slept in Monterosso and loved it. It’s also easier to hike to Vernazza than from Vernazza to Monterosso although Monterosso to Vernazza is still challenging.
Do have dinner one night in Vernazza because there's good restaurants there too. I would also stay put in the Cinque Terre since day trips nearby are considered to be lesser sights.

Posted by
553 posts

Another vote for Monterroso. And you can always take the ferry to all the 5 villages plus Porto Venere. You don’t have to hike to see the others.

Posted by
2942 posts

And you can always take the ferry to all the 5 villages plus Porto Venere.

And is the most scenic way to get to and from.

Posted by
11125 posts

Hotel Porto Roca is lovely, up on a bluff with beautiful sea views.