Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

We'll be in Cinque Terre May 6th for two nights and contemplating waiting, as Rick Steve's suggests, until we get there to find a room. Has anyone had an experience doing it this way and, if so, where did you end up?
Thanks to everyone who has been responding to my many questions.
OOPS, originally I said May 8th...will be May 6th until the 8th

Posted by
100 posts

During that time of the year, I would definitely RESERVE ahead to make sure you get something. There could always be SOMETHING available, but why not pick a place out online that you can look forward to - something with a great view or more/less stairs. Our room in Vernazza had such an amazing view and feel from the front window we ate a majority of our dinners there!

Posted by
83 posts

I would recommend booking ahead too. I am arriving on Sat May 16th which is the Lemon festival this year so I am very wary that I won't have a bed. If you know which days you are going to be there it would be silly not to reserve. I am staying at Ostello Cinque Terre which looks really nice!

Posted by
3580 posts

Since you will be there on a weekend, I would try to get a reservation in advance. Weekends in the CT can be very busy. If you decide to wait til you get there, arrive as early in the day as possible to begin your search. For such a short stay, you don't want to be spending half a day finding a room.

Posted by
10344 posts

Same advice to you as Swan, for same reason, your 2 nights are Fri and Sat nights. Here's a website that explains why Swan is advising you as he has:http://www.cinqueterreonline.com/tips.htm#parkingThis is from the website:"It is not easy to find accommodations in the Cinque Terre (Monterosso, Vernazza, Manarola, Corniglia, Riomaggiore) unless you book ahead. You can try to arrive without reservations, but from June to September it is almost impossible to find a free bed in these little villages. The only chance you have is to arrive early in the morning and see if anything is available."It says June to Sept but, erring slightly on the side of caution and maximizing your sight-seeing time and increasing your amount of relaxation, I would apply the website's advice to Fri and Sat nights in May as well.It depends partly on how much of your limited time there you want to spend hunting for a room while hauling your things around with you. I know what Rick says in his book but that's just general advice, and since you're there on a May weekend for 2 nights only and you know exactly which nights you're going to be there, why not book ahead. I'm concerned that if you don't, you may end up asking yourself, after it's too late: why didn't I maximize my time to do what I came there to do, instead of wasting it hunting for a room while hauling my luggage around.

Posted by
521 posts

If you want to get a price quote in advance, try contacting Mar Mar in Riomaggiore. If you use the "Accommodation Request" under the "Contact Us" section and let them know the dates you will be there, they will advise you what is available and at what price. At least you will see if much is available, and what the current going rate is.

Posted by
32214 posts

paula,

I'd definitely suggest pre-booking accommodations! You'll be there pretty much in the peak of the spring shoulder season, and it could be VERY busy (especially weekends!).

On my last visit there (during fall shoulder season, Sept./Oct), I watched several other travellers (using the "spontaneous" travel method) searching for 1-2 hours to try and find a place to stay. They were almost ready to give up and move on.

I've seen Rick's recommendations in his Guidebooks, but that's not a method I'd be comfortable with.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Paula,

I agree with most of the other posters- I would definitely book in advance. If you are looking for suggestions, when I was there last summer we stayed at Eos da Simone. It is listed as a hostel but really should not be considered one at all. It is a beautiful apartment in Riomaggiore that has 3 separate bedrooms (our party of 4 stayed here very comfortably) two private terraces, a kitchen, living room, etc. It was fantastic, and very reasonably priced. We found Simone without a problem when we got off the train in Riomaggiore, and it was a short walk from there to his apartment.

Hope that helps!
Mary

Posted by
12172 posts

We arrived in late October and had no difficulty finding a room. We were offered a room at the train station by one of several people who had rooms to let. We checked it out but it was a little small for us.

We then went to one of the main hotels and told them what we were looking for. A conversation between several women ensued in the street. They then took us to a nice apartment (no view) that suited us perfectly at a great price.

I'm not sure I would try this in the last half of June through early September. In May I think you will be okay to arrive sans reservations.

Posted by
63 posts

Hello everybody, just want to invite you and your readers to our site about the cinque terre italy and to the blog where you can also vote the nicest of the 5 Terre.
Also online a section about Video of the Cinque Terre, a different point of view..

Posted by
8 posts

If everything is booked in CT, try Levanto. Near CT (about 3-4 min by train) and it has a bigger beach that is sandy, not rocky.
Hey, we're neighbors!
Deb in Roseville, CA

Posted by
20 posts

What about April 26-28? Would we be better reserving, or waiting until we get there, which might be late morning - early afternoon?