Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Hi everyone! & thanks in advance for your help and answers...we are thinking on going to Italy for the Holidays (December) for a week. We have always backpack with my husband through Europe but, this year we are bringing our gorgeous son (8 months) so we wanted to make it as easy on him as possible. Any suggestion of which airport would be better and how to make it to Cinque Terre? Which town would you recommend to stay....

Grazie mille!

Posted by
32220 posts

MG,

The Cinque Terre will not be a good location to visit in December (IMO). To begin with, most of the hotels and other tourist businesses close about mid-late November for the winter, and don't re-open until about April. In December the locals will be getting ready for their annual Christmas festivities, so finding someplace to stay could be difficult. In addition, the weather probably won't be the best at that time of year, and there are no other sights to see so there wouldn't be much to do if you're stuck inside due to weather.

If you want to enjoy warmer weather you could have a look at Sicily, perhaps someplace like Cefalu (which is close to Palermo). It's a beautiful smaller town with good hotels, and the food in that area is fantastic.

Posted by
11362 posts

Hi MG.

What do you like to do/would you like to do in Italy over the holidays? As Ken says, Cinque Terre is out, but Rome has much to offer, as do Venezia and Firenze. Any of these would make a fine city trip with lots to do and you could spend the entire week in any one of them (but don't try to do all three).

We enjoyed last Christmas in the Dolomites, staying at a resort, hiking in the mountains. There were lots of children of all ages around. Yes, there is viable winter hiking even with a child. Let me know if you want more info on that as an alternative.

Posted by
3580 posts

You could stay in La Spezia at the south end of CT. There are many hotels there and local train transportation to the 5 towns. Pisa may be the best Airport for the area.

Posted by
23 posts

Hi Laurel! yes could you share some of your experiences-memories with me about the Holidays in the Dolomites. Much appreciated! & thanks to everyone else.