Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terre

Is it worth doing a day trip to Cinque Terre from Florence? I was looking at a tour with Walkabout Florence tours. I really want to see the CT but maybe that’s another trip? Should I just spend the time in Florence? I’ll be there 5 nights but I also want to do wine tasting, maybe cooking class, obviously see all the sights in Florence, maybe day trip to Sienna. Thoughts?

Posted by
6788 posts

Tough call.

Cinque Terre as a day trip puts you there when it's at its absolute worst: mid-day, crowded with masses of (other) day-trippers including the hordes from cruise ships. Conversely (like all the other too-popular places that are being loved to death) if you spend the night, you get at least a few blisslfully uncrowded hours late in your arrival day and early in your departure day.

If you hate crowds, either spend the night, or save Cinque Terre for another trip when you can do that. If you don't mind being pressed together with hundreds or strangers all following someone waving a tiny flag on a stick...then go for it.

Posted by
32200 posts

It’s certainly possible to see the Cinque Terre as a day trip from Florence, but plan for a long day. That’s easily done on your own without a tour company. You didn’t say what time of year this would be taking place, but one important factor might be to pick a day when there are no cruise ships in the area.

Even on days when cruise ship hordes will be visiting, in my experience not all of the towns are busy at the same time. The cruise groups seem to focus more on Monterosso and Vernazza.

With that in mind, my suggestion would be to start in Riomaggiore and work north. If you plan to arrive in Monterosso in late afternoon, the cruise groups should be heading back to the ships and you can have a fine meal in one of the restaurants in Monterosso before heading back to Florence.

Posted by
5687 posts

If it's a rainy day, I'd prefer to be in a museum in Florence not out in the rain trying to hike in the Cinque Terre.

On a clear day, it would be very worth doing to me, though you should expect mobs of people in season. Be prepared for that. Not sure what time of year, but if in the late spring/summer you'd have long days, at least.

If you do it yourself by train, you can decide spur-of-the-moment whether to day trip (maybe on a clear not rainy day?) on any given day in Florence. Not much research or prep is required. Just figure out the train schedules and buy train tickets the morning you go. Which train would you take to where, and which are the latest trains coming back? Once you get there, you can explore the towns and make do a hike (but some of the trails between - the easiest ones unfortunately - are still closed). It's easy once you get there to take the local trains between towns, and there is even a boat.

Posted by
1692 posts

You don't say if you are a hiker or what time of year you are visiting. Those are big factors. I'd say skip the imaginary CT, and enjoy real Florence to the max.
If you do go, in 2018 the best train option to optimize a CT visit was the 7.36 Frecciabianca from Firenze Campo di Marte arriving at La Spezia Centrale at 09.12 and return on the 20.02 from La Spezia Centrale arriving at Campo Di Marte at 21.40. These are not the only options but they are quick with comfortable connections and discounted fares may be available if booked on line in advance.

Posted by
5687 posts

I'd probably skip the "imaginary" Cinque Terre too - go to the actual Cinque Terre LOL! It is very crowded with tourists these days, but it's still amazing if you can deal with them. Probably wouldn't do it in July-August though. More likely to be less crowded closer to May or October. Florence is mobbed with tourists, too.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you all so much! I do like some light hiking, and will be traveling the end of October. As much as I want to see the CT I agree with some of you to just maximize my time in Florence.

Posted by
11136 posts

I woild not call hiking the CT “light hiking” as trails have steep drop offs, lots of stairs.

Posted by
5687 posts

Thank you all so much! I do like some light hiking, and will be traveling the end of October. As much as I want to see the CT I agree with some of you to just maximize my time in Florence.

I still see no reason not to plan a trip to the CT. As I said, not much research is required. Get the train times, basically, so you don't have to scramble while you are there trying to figure everything out. But once you get there and you are loving Florence and want to spend that extra day there, skip the CT.

The "light hiking" trails are currently closed in the CT, unfortunately.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks Andrew H. I’ve appreciated all your responses. Good idea, see how the weather is and how I’m feeling.

Posted by
32200 posts

A few further thoughts.......

End of October is probably a very good time to visit the Cinque Terre, as the cruise hordes will hopefully be fewer. If you get a sunny day, that should be a nice day trip.

Regarding the trails, two of the four segments of the popular Sentiero Azzurro trails should still be open at that time of year. If you wanted to hike the Corniglia - Vernazza segment, I don't recall that being too strenuous. The Vernazza - Monterosso portion has a sharp climb at the Monterosso end, so it's better to start there. After you get to the level of the trail, it's not too bad except for some narrow sections. I'm not sure if the toll collectors will still be working then, so you may be able to hike them for no cost.

If you don't want to hike the trails, the Cinque Terre Express has frequent trains, and since the towns are only a few minutes from each other, that's an easy way to get around. The Ferries may still be operating then as well.