Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terra October 2012

Is Cinque Terra a good place to visit in fall of 2012... we only have 2 days to explore as we travel from Nice, France to Cortona, Italy... or any other suggestions?

Posted by
32219 posts

Debbie, The short answer - YES, absolutely. The Cinque Terre would be a good "intermediate stop" between Nice and Cortona. I was there last fall (staying in Monterosso) and the weather was fantastic! I was there for about 4-5 days, and as soon as I arrived, I was wishing I had booked more time. The trip from Nice Ville to the Cinque Terre will be about five hours, probably with changes in Ventimiglia and Genova. Although September is a long way off, I would highly recommend booking accommodations SOON! Happy travels!

Posted by
359 posts

Yes. I'm going early Oct. The weather is always unpredictable but hopefully it will be good this fall.

Posted by
3941 posts

We were there late Sept and stayed in Corniglia for 3 nights - it was an amazing spot that I hope to revisit this year...there isn't a lot of museums and such - just hiking trails and scenery and laid-back/nothing to do but relax - wonderful spot...

Posted by
87 posts

my adult daughter and I stayed 4 nights in Monterosso at an agriturismo this fall 3 wks before the terrible storms. we loved the area. Hiked to Vernazza and visited there briefly (too jammed w tourists at midday, wish we'd been there at night...timing your hike could allow you to be there at better time...maybe go late in day, stay for evening and take train back then) didn't get to other villages, as Monterosso and the beaches sang their siren song and we got VERY relaxed and lazy, so will just have to back to CT sometime. I recommend you go to other towns on train, or boat, if you have time. We were there in early October; weather was gorgeous. In Monterosso: Eat by the seaside, spend time on the breakwater, etc.
Hike up high above the old or new town on streets and stony paths for great views and visit to a beautiful cemetery. By fall 2012, I hope beaches and trails are all restored.

Posted by
1 posts

We, too, are planning to visit CT in October and are somewhat worried about the weather. Does anyone else have any experience in CT in October? Thanks!

Posted by
109 posts

A website called weathertrends at http://www.weathertrends360.com/ uses historical data to "predict" what'll happen weather-wise upto 365 days out. They've garnered lots of clients for being pretty darn accurate. You could give it a shot...better than nothing, perhaps.

Posted by
381 posts

We just left Cinque Terre a few days ago. We stayed in Levento which is just north. Very nice town we liked it alot. Montor. one stop away. We got the train pass for the day and did all 5 towns in one day. It was a long day but it can be done. But the train schedules are pretty much whenever they get there.

Posted by
83 posts

Tom, we're travelling there about the same time as Debbie (late September 2012). What was your assessment of the area since the flooding? Were there any towns that seemed like they were hit hard enough that you would advise travellers not to stay in? Any general cautions, or is full-steam ahead? Thanks in advance.
-Steve

Posted by
32219 posts

@Steve, Although your question was directed to Tom, I have a few thoughts to add. The only two towns affected by the floods were Monterosso (old town section) and Vernazza. Of the two, Vernazza was damaged to a much greater extent, so repairs will be ongoing there for awhile. However, many businesses have now re-opened. The "old town" section of Monterosso has been repaired and rebuilt, and is mostly back to normal. Conditions in September will be much different than now, as the repairs are continuing. I will also be there in mid-to-late September (staying in Monterosso), and don't have any concerns at all.