Please sign in to post.

Cinque terra

Can somebody guide me to cinque terra from Florence (Firenze Centrale) ?
Buy train tickets from where ?
Alight which train station?
There are 5 towns ; which are more worth going?
Am going on 7-8 November, either one day.
Thank you

Posted by
906 posts

Train to Viareggio then to La Spezia then to any 5 Terre town.

They are all worth seeing, depends on your desires. Vernazza is the most visited, Monterosso al Mare as a beach, Corniglia has their famous wine, Riomaggiore and Manarola are less visited but charming.

Likely to have rain so be ready.

Posted by
32222 posts

Teo,

Regarding your questions....

• You can buy tickets at the station in Florence, either from a Kiosk or the staffed ticket office (I normally use the Kiosks). It is possible to buy some of your tickets online as well, but given the short time until travel you likely won't save any money so buying on-site is the easiest solution. You'll have to decide which town you want to visit first, as that will have to be specified when you buy the ticket.
  • You'll most likely be using Firenze Santa Maria Novella station, which is the main station in Florence.
  • If you only want to see one of the towns, I'd suggest Monterosso as it's the largest and has the most restaurants as well as the nicest beaches. Monterosso has both a "new town" and an "old town" and it's easy to walk from one to the other. You can easily explore the other towns via the local trains, as the ride between the towns is only about 5-10 minutes in each case.
  • If you plan on visiting several *Cinque Terre towns, I'd suggest leaving Monterosso for last so that you can have a nice supper and then head back to Florence in the evening.

That trip will have one or more changes, depending on which train you choose. You'll have to be quick with some of the changes, as there are sometimes only a few minutes. If any of the trains you use on that route are Regionale, BE SURE to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll risk hefty fines, which will be collected on the spot. You can check all the train times and other details at www.trenitalia.com (there's an English language option).

Posted by
15863 posts

You can purchase tickets at the station, and S.M. Novella is the most central in Florence. You'll be working with reduced hours of daylight so to make the most of them, I'd leave very early in the morning.

Just taking a quick look at schedules for Nov 7th and. 8th, here's what I'd do if wanting to make this trip:

Nov. 7th:
5:35 AM, SM. Novella, Regionale 3103 - arrives Pisa Centrale 6:35
6:47 AM, Pisa Centrale, Intercity 35062 - arrives La Spezia Centrale 7:43
8:27 AM, La Spezia Centrale, Regionale 33836 - arrives in Riomaggiore at 8:35

Total journey: 3 hours

Nov. 8th:
6:47 AM, Pisa Centrale, Intercity 35062 - arrives La Spezia Centrale 7:43
7:51 AM, La Spezia Centrale, Regionale 33834 - arrives in Riomaggiore at 7:58

Total journey: 2:23 hours.

The tickets you purchase in Florence will take you all the way through to your final destination, and leaving before dawn will give you enough daylight to see multiple villages. Have dinner after dark and head back to Florence.

Posted by
129 posts

Is there a train map for this trip from Florence to cinque terra?

Posted by
129 posts

I will plan cinque terra on the 7/11 then. Will choose to visit Monterosso. If I follow Kathy timing to board the train. After La Spezia , which stop should I alight or should I say which train next?

Posted by
15863 posts

Teo, it would be helpful to learn to use the Trenitalia website to explore your rail options. If you intend to make other day trips by train, it will be useful. As well, you may need to be able to see what alternatives there are should you miss a train or something else unexpectedly change.

Schedules are posted in the stations so you can use those as well. You just have to remember that your destination may be along a route and not at its terminus (end) so look at all the stops a train makes along the way.

I didn't use Monterosso as the destination as Riomaggiore is closest to La Spezia - the usual jumping-on point for the CT - and so is the village often accessed the quickest. Monterosso is the furthest one to the north (look at a map of Italy). You can (and should) go onward by train to some of the other villages from Riomaggiore - and you will have time to do that if you arrive very early. Additionally, keep your options open: if it's pouring rain on the 7th, skip it and try for better weather on the 8th.

But it's fine if you want to work backward from Monterosso. In this case you won't make your second train change in La Spezia:

Nov. 7th:
6:47 AM, Pisa Centrale, Intercity 35062 - arrives Levanto at 8:08
8:40 AM, Levanto, Regionale 33819 - arrives in Monterosso at 8:44
Total journey: 3:09 hours

Note that the numbers I've used for the posted schedules are only going TO the CT. Do not use these same train numbers for returning to Florence; another reason to take a look at the website so you know when the last of them depart in the evening.

Posted by
32222 posts

Teo,

One point to note is that there are numerous trains on that route each day, so you don't necessarily have to leave at such a dreadfully early hour. As Kathy mentioned, the Trenitalia website will give you all the options. If you could provide some indication of what time you'd like to go there, how long you want to stay and what time you want to return, it would be easier to offer more specific suggestions.

You may want to have a look at a few of the small towns, as you'll have time. Especially in November, there won't be much to do in any of them. You could easily start in Riomaggiore or Vernazza and end your trip with a fine meal in Monterosso before returning to Florence.

Posted by
15863 posts

Ken, I chose the early timing because of the short amount of daylight in November; figured this schedule would give them time for more rather than less exploring and lots of pictures between sunrise and sunset. :O)

But yes, browsing around the Trenitalia website would provide all of the options.

Posted by
32222 posts

Kathy,

I wasn't sure how familiar the OP was with the trains in Italy, so just wanted to mention that there are numerous other departures available on that route so that he can choose times based on preference. If only visiting one of the five towns (which seems to be the plan), only a few hours will be needed so that should provide some flexibility in travel times.

I suspect the OP might need some further specific tips on the procedures for "train changes", as that can be daunting for some people.

Posted by
129 posts

Hi Kathy & Ken
We would like to visit Vernazza and then Monterosso.
We have seen the train map and is a bit confused. We would prefer to catch the train at about 7-8am in the morning and after watching the sun set,dinner and come back to Florence. We will need your help to guide us on the train there and back. What time & train number. Will appreciate if you can provide us the information. Thanks!

Posted by
32222 posts

Teo,

Given your preferred departure time, this is one of the easiest trips (I used Nov. 7 for researching this)....

• Depart Firenze SMN at 08:28, arrive Pisa Centrale at 09:28 (time 1H, Regionale Veloce #3111 - DON'T forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll risk getting a hefty fine).
  • Depart Pisa Centrale at 09:47, arrive La Spezia Centrale at 10:37 (time 0H:50M, FrecciaBianca #35764)
  • Depart La Spezia Centrale at 10:53, arrive Vernazza at 11:15 (time 0H:22M, Regionale #33852 - again, DON'T forget to validate your ticket)

When you've finished looking around Vernazza, go back to the station and check the large chart for the time of the next train to Monterosso. You can buy a ticket there using a Kiosk or at the ticket office if it's open. The trip from Vernazza to Monterosso is only about 5-7 minutes. When you arrive in Monterosso, have a look to determine which restaurants will be open.

After you've had a look at Monterosso and a nice supper, there are several departures you could consider for the trip back to Florence. The easiest trip will be a departure at 19:05, arriving 21:32 with a travel time of 2H:27M with one change. The middle option is a departure at 19:34, arriving 22:32 with a travel time of 2H:58M with two changes (this one is the reverse of the trip TO Vernazza). The final choice is a departure at 21:01, arriving 23:50 with a travel time of 2H:49M with one change (this is the last train of the night). Using the middle choice as an example, these are the details....

• Depart Monterosso at 19:34, arrive La Spezia Centrale at 19:56 (time 0H:22M, Regionale #33875 - Don't forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding).
  • Depart La Spezia Centrale at 20:18, arrive Pisa Centrale at 21:27 (time 1H:09M, Regionale #21449 - Don't forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding).
  • Depart Pisa Centrale at 21:32, arrive Firenze SMN at 22:32 (time 1H:00M, Regionale Veloce #3134 - Don't forget to validate your ticket prior to boarding).

NOTE that the train details are subject to change, but the above details are listed on the Trenitalia website tonight.

When choosing a restaurant to have supper, you'll be able to get back to the station quicker if you choose one in the new town, as that's where the rail station is located. Using a restaurant in the old town is not a problem, as long as you allow 5-10 minutes to walk back to the station. If you need suggestions for restaurants, post another note.

Posted by
129 posts

Hi
I will prefer option 1 ; return departure 19:05. Arriving 21:32 with a travel time of 2h 27 mins with one change. Can you provide me a more info . Train to? Change train at ?

Posted by
129 posts

Good restaurant to recommend for dinner in new town?

Posted by
8 posts

We loved Corniglia best. We just left there we stayed in Ricks suggested Cristianas Rooms. Great room and view. After looking at all of the beautiful cities we like the laid back charm of Corniglia best. It is very easy to travel from town to town. Get the Trek and Tren pass it is worth every euro. We hiked from Corniglia to Vernazza, a good walk, and then trained it to all of the other towns for a full day. You must take the stairs down to the train station. It is great. Going up is not too bad either.
Coming from Florence, be careful. We knew we needed to get off at La Spezia Migliarina to transfer to a train that would stop at Corniglia. We got off and the conductor asked us where we were going and he insisted we needed to get back on the train. He said we needed to goto the next stop, La Spezia Centrale for our connection. So we did. At La Spezia Centrale I asked again if the train we were changing to went to Corniglia and very hurridly he said si, si. Wrong! We sailed right past Corniglia. Got off at the next stop and had to buy a ticket back to Corniglia. Just a couple of euros.

Posted by
354 posts

Hi Teo, not sure if you're already in Italy and if you've already tried to get tickets for the trains. It's really best to explore the train times and routes on the Trenitalia website. There's no detailed map of all train routes, so it's best to do a search on the Trenitalia site, keying in your departure and arrival towns, to gather the various train options for your journey. (Select 'monterosso' and not 'monterosso marche' for Monterosso village in the Cinque Terre.) The website will also show whether you need to change trains, and change at which station. Remember that the train you take from Firenze to either La Spezia or Pisa (to change trains) may not actually terminate in those cities, so you need to look out for the stops along the way or have an estimate of the time you'll arrive at the station. And check the screen displays on the train station platforms to make sure that you get on the correct train, as trains may be delayed. The display will show the final destination of the train and the train's number, and usually the stops that the train makes along the way.
Regarding restaurants in Monterosso, I think there are recommendations in Rick Steves' guidebook, if not, there are recommendations on TripAdvisor too.

Posted by
15863 posts

I will prefer option 1 ; return departure 19:05. Arriving 21:32 with a
travel time of 2h 27 mins with one change. Can you provide me a more
info . Train to? Change train at ?

Let's walk through this as you very well may need to know how if you intend on taking more day trips?
Pull up the Trentialia website:
http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

On the top left is a box where you'll enter all of your search information
Click the circle for one-way
Type "Monterosso" in the "From" box: a dropdown will appear with two options. Choose Monterosso
Type "Firenze S.M. Novella" in the "To" box: choose it from the dropdown
Choose 7-11-2015 in the "Departure" box, and 19 in the "Hour" box
Click the red "search" button

The 19:05 train is right at the top of the page. Click the "show" button under "Changes: 1" to see where you'll change trains.

And there is all the info you need:
19:05 depart Monterosso; arrive 20:17 Pisa Centrale. Intercity train 673
20:32 depart Pisa Centrale; arrive Firenze S.M. Novella at 21:32. Regionale Veloce 3020

You won't know which platforms the trains are leaving from until you arrive at the stations: there are arrival (arrivi) and departure (partenze) boards that tell you which platform (binario) you need to go to catch the train number you want. There are some photos of what the boards generally look like (although they're not all exactly the same) on this site, as well as schedule boards - should you need to figure out a journey without being able get online:

http://adventurousalex.net/how-to-navigate-italian-trains/

And as Ken wisely reminded, do not forget to validate your tickets!

Posted by
32222 posts

Teo,

• Restaurants

I'm not sure which restaurants will be open in the new town, so you'll have to look. My usual favourite is Cantina di Miky but I believe they will be closed in November.

Some that you might try in the old town are L' Alta Marea (part way up Via Roma on the right side) or Ristorante Belvedere (just across from the beach). It's a very easy walk from the train station to the old town.

• Trains

The information I posted above has the specific details on the train numbers you'll be using. You can verify the details on the Trenitalia website. You may also find it helpful to have a look at THIS short video.

You will be issued two or three separate tickets, depending on how many trains you will use to reach the destination. You might be more comfortable buying tickets at the staffed ticket office, preferably the day prior to travel. I'd suggest writing the details of your trips such as departure times and destination on a sheet of paper, and showing that to the ticket agent. The tickets will have the train numbers printed on them. Here are some suggestions on your trips and changing trains.....

• When you arrive at Firenze SMN station, check the ticket for the train number of the first train you'll be using (ie: RV 3111). Look on the large electronic display for Partenze (departures) for that train, in order to determine the track (Binario) that the train will be departing from. VALIDATE your ticket prior to boarding (the video above provides information on validating tickets).
  • When you arrive at the next station (ie: Pisa Centrale), have a look at your next ticket to determine the train number (ie: ES 35764) and then check the electronic display to find the track (Binario) number where that train will be leaving from. In order to get from one platform or track to another, you will probably have to go down stairs to the transfer tunnel and then back up stairs to the next platform. Note that on a Freccia (ES) train, you will have an assigned Coach No. (Carrozza) and Seat No. (Posti), and you must sit in the assigned seat.
  • When you arrive at the next station (ie: La Spezia Centrale), have a look at the ticket to determine the train number (ie: R 33852) and then check the electronic display to find the Track (Binario) number where that train will be leaving from. VALIDATE your ticket prior to boarding the train.
  • When the train leaves La Spezia Centrale, keep track of the time. It will take about 20 minutes to reach Vernazza. The train will likely make stops at Riomaggiore, Manarola and Corniglia before it reaches Vernazza.

For the trip back to Florence, this is the procedure.....

• When you arrive at the station in Monterosso, have a look at your ticket to determine the train number (ie: IC 673) and check the electronic Partenze display to determine which track (Binario) it will be departing from. For an InterCity (IC) train, again you will likely have an assigned coach and seat numbers.
  • When you arrive at Pisa Centrale, check your next ticket to determine the train number that you'll be using for the next part or your journey. Check the electronic display in the station to determine which track (Binario) the train will be departing from and use the transfer tunnel to get to that track. VALIDATE your ticket prior to boarding the train.

This may sound complicated but it's all rather easy in practice. If you want to confirm that you're boarding the correct train, ask one of the Conductors who will probably be standing on the platform next to the train, or you can ask another passenger.

You may find it helpful to have a look at these short videos....

Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
15863 posts

I just checked and sadly, Cantina di Miky (great place) is closed for the season.