Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terra

We are travelling to Cinque Terra for 4 days late October 2009. Does anyone have suggestions for a reasonably priced place to stay, among the 5 towns, given that we plan to do some hiking? Is it necessary to reserve that late in the season? Any recommended daytrips to Carrerra?

Posted by
32222 posts

Angela,

Given your criteria of "reasonably priced", you might consider Mar-Mar Rooms in Riomaggiore. These are somewhat basic accommodations, but they're perfectly comfortable.

The location mentioned in an earlier reply, La Torretta (Manarola) is also a good option, but it may not fit your price limits. You could also have a look at Hotel Ca d'Andrean in Manarola.

If you find a lodging that you like, I'd probably still reserve even that late in the season. Note that you'll require a Park Pass to hike the trails between the five villages.

Regarding "daytrips to Carrara", as Kent mentioned, having a car would be a good idea. However, you might want to check the Italy Guidebook as Rick lists a local Guide that will pick up guests at the train station (€80 per half day tour).

Happy travels!

Posted by
2193 posts

I’ll recommend La Torreta’s in Manarola…nice small hotel near the top of town with great views from your balcony. Check out reviews and photos on www.tripadvisor.com – number 1. You can also review their website: www.torrettas.com. Manarola has fewer tourists and is quiet. I would get a reservation.

Posted by
10344 posts

Re side trips to Carrara, we've had 5 prior discussions of that, here they are

click here

Carrara (the site of the quarry, I mean) is awkward to get to, without a car. And you don't want a car in the CT--so there's a dilemma there.

So browse the prior discussions to get ideas of how to deal with that problem.

Posted by
586 posts

We really like Albergo Pasquale's comfortable rooms and excellent location--facing the town's central piazza, all rooms with a sea view (it's right across the street!), and not far from the train station--in Monterosso al Mare. But it's the most active, busy of the five towns. Don't know what you consider "reasonably priced," Angela (that seems to vary from person-to-person), but we paid 155 Euros per night for four nights last month. In late October, I imagine you could get that cost down a bit, negotiate!

Posted by
168 posts

Hi Angela,

My husband and I stayed at Edi’s Rooms in Riomaggiore
(www.wel.it/Vesignaedi). This was our favorite place we stayed in Italy. We were in the Case Mimi room which had a huge balcony overlooking the sea. It was very clean and just the perfect location. It also had a refrigerator, coffe maker, and table and chairs inside the room to eat. This room was 80EUR. They did have other rooms to rent for less as well. Edi is also recommended in the Rick Steve's books (and when you go to their office they have X-mas cards from Rick's family).

We liked staying in Riomaggiore because it was connected to the Via Dell Amore which is an easy path to the next town Manarola (approx 20min walk). It's also great to watch the sunset from the rocks in Riomaggiore.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you to all those who have replied to our Cinque Terra questions and who have wished us a good trip...much appreciated!
Angela & Patrick

Posted by
17 posts

We loved Albergo Marina in Monterosso. The staff was wonderful and the rooms are cute! They serve breakfast in the lemon grove every morning and they have an afternoon buffet - delicious! The hikes are beautiful - the first two are a bit rough but the other two are much easier.

Posted by
12172 posts

We showed up in late October and rented a nice two-bedroom apartment for a great price with no advance reservation.

We stayed in Vernazza. It's a charming little town, I can see why it's Rick's favorite.

Posted by
15602 posts

Do be sure to take the ferry in the afternoon (when you are between the sun and the coast) for beautiful views of all the towns.

Posted by
1003 posts

Recently returned from Italy and 3rd visit to C.T. in 7 years. We spent 4 nights towards end of July in room 1 of Francamaria's, in R.S. book. We loved this room, hardly any steps and the window overlooked the square. When we weren't out and about we were loving the harbor view! It was 130 euros per night for 3 people but worth very penny!! Room 2 right next to room 1 also with harbor view but only for 2 people I think. I would make reservations. Francamaria's wants you to arrive by 16:00 or call and let her know when you will be arriving. All her rooms have small refrig. but it did not work very well so could not chill our C.T. wine. 2 members of our party stayed in Room 3, 110 Euros/night (would have booked room 2 described above but it was already booked), lovely room, very close by to room 1, up more steps but still not bad,2 windows overlooking street, refrig. worked well here. Both rooms had clotheslines out window, very convenient. Buon Viaggio!!

Posted by
3 posts

We are also traveling in October - the beginning of the month. We want to spend a few days in Cinque Terra. Read in Foder's book yesterday that much of Cinque Terra closes down completely Oct - Easter. Can anyone confirm that shops, hotels, etc. are still alive and kicking in October?? Thanks!

Posted by
12172 posts

Betsy,

There isn't much in CT to start with. In Vernazza there were a few small shops, a few restaurants, a church and not much else. After dinner, the place seemed pretty deserted. I don't think things were specifically closed as much as didn't remain open late because the business wasn't there. We went to relax so it was fine for us.

Monterosso is supposed to be the only place with nightlife. It's bigger and seems to have more shops. There wasn't much going on in late October - no chairs on the beach and very little traffic on the roads. We hiked in, hung around the beach then trained back to Vernazza so we really didn't look for shopping or eating opportunities.

The other towns seemed about the same as Vernazza. What was there seemed to be open but there wasn't much there.