Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terra

My family and I (2 adults, 2 16-year olds) will be traveling to Italy and visiting Cinque terra for a few days. I am looking for accomodation and restaurant recommendations. Thanks!!

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Laura,

Do you have a preference for which town to stay in?

In Riomaggiore I had good luck with Mar Mar. They are an agency that rents out privately-owned apartments. If you fill out the accommodation request form on their website they will email you with what they have available for those dates along with honest descriptions including the number of stairs involved.

If you would prefer to stay in a different town, let us know for more specific recommendations.

Posted by
13 posts

Hi Steven,

I was thinking of perhaps Vernazza area. Our time in Cinqe Terra is at the end of our European trip, and my son and daughter want beach time. My husband and I want nice place to relax, good food and wine!! Thanks for the help!!

Posted by
32212 posts

Laura,

If your family wants "beach time", you might consider staying in Monterosso al Mare (the most northerly of the five Cinque Terre villages. It also has the best selection of Hotels and restaurants, so would probably be the best compromise for the varying needs of your group.

Check the Italy Guidebook for lodging recommendations, or other sites such as TripAdvisor.

Vernazza has a small protected harbour and beach, but the beach in Monterosso is far larger.

Cheers!

Posted by
521 posts

I agree with Ken - Monterosso is the place I would recommend for staying on a beach. That being said, the trains connect the towns so well with service that is pretty much nearly hourly during the day, that you can stay in any of the towns and spend time on the beaches in Monterosso.

Posted by
17 posts

I would check out one of Egi's rooms in Vernazza. He has one with a kitchen that would easily sleep 4 (2 twin beds and a queen) and it's in the heart of Vernazza. It's up a flight of stairs and in the back of a building with no view, but it is very quiet and you are right in the middle of the action.

Also, my restaurant suggestion is Il Pirate delle Cinque Terre in Vernazza at the top of town (above the train station). The pastry case was packed full of the most fabulous treats- try a cannoli and a frozen fruit slushy with fresh cream!! THE BEST!!

Posted by
2193 posts

By the end of your trip, you may be interested in something fairly low key with fewer tourists. I always prefer fewer tourists, so I would recommend staying in Manarola at La Torretta...private balconies with sea view, very scenic, and number 1 on tripadvisor. There's a great seafood restaurant on the main drag with indoor & outdoor seating. There’s also a good ice cream/gelato shop in the center of the village. Your kids can do some deep water swimming right off of the rocks. Attached to the rocks are a couple of ladders with two or three steps each…similar to what you would see in a swimming pool. They could also do a little diving from a more substantial “cliff” (not really a cliff but a larger rock). It’s safe…high school kids were doing it when we were there. For a more traditional beach (sans sand), I agree that Monterosso is your best bet. You can catch a train anytime to get to the beach and back…very cheap. I recall that you can rent a beach umbrella with lounge chairs for about 20 Euros…covers you all day. Manarola isn't busy during the day, and it's very quiet at night.

Posted by
13 posts

Great advice, hints and ideas everyone. Thanks!!

Posted by
17 posts

I have stayed at La Torretta in Manarola. Quiet and a very friendly owner. Nice breakfast. Just right off the square. The town is small, but you can hop on the train and vist the others. Easy on and off.

Posted by
206 posts

I would not go to Vernazza for the beach (what little of it there is). We saw cats there, using it as their personal sand box (if you get my drift).... Ever since, we have called it "Kitty Beach"!!

Posted by
1 posts

I don't think you will be disappointed in Cinque Terra regardless of where you stay. Be sure to walk the Azul trail between the five towns. It is the most incredible hike with breathtaking views. We never had a bad meal while in the Cinque Terra area.

Enjoy!!!

Posted by
1003 posts

We are staying at FrancaMaria's for 4 nights in July. When are you going? If you want to send me an e-mail sometime after July 25, I will let you know what I think of this place.

Posted by
8 posts

Our favorite restaurants on an Italian trip were in CQ. Ristorante Ciak and Ristorante Miky were both extraordinary specializing in locally sourced food prepared in the local style. Ristorante Miky is owned by the same family that owns A Ca Du Gigante, a nice, albeit modern, B&B a block off the beach in Monterosso al Mare. We had a terrific room and a wonderfully gracious hostess.

When hiking between the towns you can pop in anywhere and find a foccaciaria and just point at anything in their display case. It is all good. I'm wishing I was you.