Please sign in to post.

Cinque Terra

My husband and I are planning a trip to France & Italy in early July. Blindly, I was not aware of the mudslides in Cinque Terra until my son told me about it. We had planned to stay there 2 nights/3 days. Should we cancel plans for Cinque Terra and go somewhere else?

Posted by
32220 posts

Christine, I definitely agree with Toni. Especially as you'll be there in July (when more of the repairs will have been done), I'd recommend continuing with your visit to the Cinque Terre as planned. It will likely be hot and crowded, but it's a beautiful and unique area. While it's highly unlikely that Vernazza will be back to normal by that time, I believe they will be "open" in a limited way so you should be able to at least visit there. The repairs in the old town section of Monterosso have been progressing well, so they will likely be ready to go when tourist season starts. I would strongly recommend booking accommodations as soon as you have your travel dates finalized. Have you decided yet which of the five villages you might prefer to stay in? Happy travels!

Posted by
26 posts

Ken, thanks very much for your thoughts as well. Early today I viewed the videos on YouTube of the mudslides and felt so sad for the people of Cinque Terre. We really do want to visit there so will in all likelihood move ahead with plans. Initially, we had wanted to stay in Vernazza which, of course, is not possible now. However, we're open to suggestions. Thank you again!

Posted by
359 posts

Vernazza was hit the hardest and then Monterosso both are making major progress but Vernazza will take the longest to recover the other 3 villages were not damaged you can still plan a visit, maybe book a village other than Vernazza for now and watch Vernazza's progress. if they are ready for guests in July than I'm sure they would appreciate your business
I've already booked my return to Monterosso Sept/Oct

Posted by
26 posts

We had also thought of staying in the towns you mentioned and glad to hear we can do this with confidence. Many thanks for your reply.

Posted by
359 posts

all of the villages of the CT are lovely and unique I prefer to stay in Monterosso for the main reason of having more food/restaurant choices Monterosso also has the only real beach
you really can't go wrong with any of the 5 villages but unfortunately Vernazza hotels may not be ready for visitors

Posted by
3580 posts

I will be staying in a hotel near the train station in La Spezia for two nights. From there I expect to spend a day and a half visiting the 5 towns. My next move after that is a flight from Pisa; staying in La Spezia and taking trains to Pisa's airport will make that easier.

Posted by
167 posts

Christine, We're going to the CT in early July for 3-4 days... I'm not worried. I'm proud to go and support them regardless of the conditions. Pete

Posted by
32220 posts

Christine, Regarding "suggestions", as someone else mentioned all of the villages are unique and interesting. Based on my experience in the Cinque Terre last September, you might consider staying in Monterosso (the most northerly town). It's the largest of the five and has the best selection of Hotels and the best beach. Check the Guidebook for listings. It's also a good location for taking a day trip to the famous resort of Portofino. Another good choice is Manarola. Have a look at This B&B for one example. A bit "pricey" but I'm sure your stay will be excellent! If you don't mind more "modest" accommodations, there's a good selection of smaller lodgings in Riomaggiore. Have a look at This Website for one example. You can easily explore all of the villages using the local train. Fare are very reasonable. Cheers!

Posted by
1589 posts

Swan alert: "I will be staying in a hotel near the train station in La Spezia for two nights. From there I expect to spend a day and a half visiting the 5 towns" You will regret this idea. The area near the La Spezia train station is, as the young folks say, sketchy.

Posted by
1 posts

I completely disagree with Bob - we were in La Spezia last July and really liked it.. we have travelled a great deal between North America and Europe and its much safer than any north american city! We stayed at a hotel that was a two minute walk from the train station and it was perfect. We were really impressed with La Spezia too as it also has some nice pedestrian streets and in July there is lots of outdoor dining and music and lots of locals enjoying the atmosphere - a great walk through the city to the harbour is nice as well.. If you get a chance take the water ferry between the villages in Cinque Terra - its a great way to see the villages from the sea.. I was very saddened to hear about the mudslides and hope they can get everything sorted as it really is a beautiful place..

Posted by
1 posts

Hi there. I've been in Manarola around one week ago (Manarola, lke Riomaggiore and Corniglia, was not affected by he flood) and I'm looking forward to come back to Vernazza in May.. I already reserved at Francamaria, they told me that all the rooms have escaped from the disaster, since they're in Plaza Marconi. It seems that they're rising up from the disaster and they'll be ready to open the town from the end of April.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for all your terrific responses. We are definitely sticking with our plans to visit CT July 3, 4 & 5. We would love to have taken our chances finding something, but because of the time of year we feel compelled to make reservations. Please tell me of any hotel/room experiences you have had and, again, thanks very much!

Posted by
32220 posts

Paul, I have no information about Camogli, but I don't believe that Portofino had any problems. Levanto (just north of Monterosso) did suffer some damage, but AFAIK they're back to normal operation now.

Posted by
5 posts

We're going to CT in early April. Hoping the towns other than Vernazza will be open for business and ready for visitors despite the flooding impact. Wondering if the crowding I hear about around Easter and in the summer will effect us and the summer travellers, if Vernazza is not open for business? I assume from previous comments that staying in other CT towns in April will not be a problem and that trains between towns are running normally?

Posted by
719 posts

Hi Christine,
Admittedly, I haven't read any of the earlier posts on this, so if I'm redundant, I apologize. I definitely would NOT skip CT. First off, 3 of the towns (C, M, R) were not really affected by the disaster (Monterosso survived in part). Vernazza was pretty much levelled. However, 3.5 out of 5 isn't bad, and the CT really needs your tourist dollars, since many were not insured. Vernazza will likely be up and running in part when you are there, and it is worth the stop. CT is usually pretty crowded, which will affect some people's view of it's charm. After the disaster, many will avoid, so take this rare opportunity to experience CT as it used to be, without the stifling crowds that we've all become used to. Spend a night or two there, and I doubt that you'll regret it.

Posted by
58 posts

Levante is also an option. Stayed there with RS tour. Very nice, but flat. No mudslides there. Much quieter and less touristy than the CT towns. 5 minute train to Monterossa. There is also a trail to Monterrosa. Tour boat stops there also.