Please sign in to post.

cinque Terra

I am considering hiking the Cinque Terra trail in mid-October. Was the trail damaged by the floods and what should I expect in way of weather?
thanks.

Posted by
2788 posts

Check out the RS Home Page - It has a connection to an update of CT situation. You can also use the "search" feature in the upper right had corner of these pages.

Posted by
32222 posts

jan, The weather should still be reasonably warm in mid-October, but of course no guarantees (especially considering the unprecedented events of last year). Just to clarify, there are a number of different trails in the Cinque Terre. The most popular section is the Sentiero Azzuro trails that run just above the ocean between the five towns. There are four different sections, with varying degrees of difficulty, with the most challenging stretch from Monterosso to Vernazza. This isn't difficult for the average hiker, but more difficult for those that are "out of shape". The easiest section is the famous Via dell'Amore from Riomaggiore to Manarola. It's mostly paved and flat, so more of a "stroll" really. There's a small Bar part way along (closer to the Manarola end) where one can stop for a "cool one" and savour the incredible ocean views. Note that a Park Pass is compulsory to hike any of the trails. You can purchase these at T.I.'s or stations in the area, as well as the small booths at the beginning of any trail. At the present time, three of the four Sentiero Azzuro trails are open. Only the stretch from Manarola to Corniglia is closed. It's been closed for some time, but will hopefully be repaired soon. The damage on that trail occurred before the Oct. 25 floods. Happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you, Charlie, and thank you. Ken, for your helpful replies.
jan