Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Venice

Hi Everyone
Looking to see who has spent Christmas in Venice.
Will be arriving Dec 22nd and staying 4 nights.
From what I have seen and read on line so far it looks magical. My only concern is if there are things open

Posted by
17 posts

My wife and I where there from Dec 20th to the 23rd a couple of years ago (before going to Florence for a few days). It was pretty awesome, and quite uncrowded. We were able to walk into San Marco without any lineups at all.

Museums and such will be closed on the 25th, but you'll have a great time just wandering around the city. Some restaurants may be closed, but you shouldn't have trouble finding something to eat. And there will be restaurants in the Ghetto.

You'll have a great time.

Posted by
1223 posts

We have spent Christmas in Venice a couple of times, and enjoyed it. The city seems almost asleep, ice forming in the canals on Torcello. Christmas eve is the big event, and then people head off for mass at mid-night.

Posted by
32752 posts

Take warm clothes and layers. You won't believe how cold it can feel.

Posted by
1 posts

I'll also be in Venice this year during that time ! I'm very excited ! I can't wait to see Venice in Winter at Christmas - I was there for a day and a half in May and it was so hot, but I fell in love with it nonetheless ! :)

Posted by
2318 posts

On our first trip to Venice (18 years ago) we arrived on 12/24. It was cold, but magical. Shops closed early. We had no problem finding restaurants that were open. At midnight the church bells all over town started ringing. It really was beautiful.

On Christmas Day we went to Murano and a few places were open. We went to a vespers service at St. Marks in the evening, then found the only gondolier working. We were literally the only gondola on the grand canal. We felt like celebrities because everyone was taking our picture.

We were in Venice in late June this year and I would absolutely take the cold, empty streets of Venice with fewer “sights” open over the masses of summer crowds anytime! Plan for closures on Christmas and spend that day wandering, or go to a concert.

Posted by
54 posts

Thank you so much for the beautiful description of your time in Venice over Christmas.