Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Venice

What can you share about Christmas in Venice?
We are three adults and a 15 year old planning a trip this Dec during the school holidays. The 15 year old is well travelled. We are planning to spend time in Switzerland as part of this trip- Zermatt??
Have been to Murren , etc. and loved that area, too.
Thanks!!

Posted by
7343 posts

We had Christmas in Italy in 2012. Although it was farther south, and not in Venice, I figured I’d at least share this much, if it helps at all. Every town was decorated with presepi manger scenes, and there were some special markets some places. Most sights were open, although hours could be reduced. Christmas Day seems to be a family time, and you might find a big lunch available, like we did at our agritourismo, but the afternoon and rest of the day was pretty quiet.

Zermatt was wonderful in March. I’d have to imagine that December/January would be a great time there. That’s the time of year for fondue!

Posted by
1159 posts

Several years ago we arrived in Venice at 6 AM Christmas morning on the night train from Munich. We dropped our bags off at the hotel and took a water taxi over to St, Marks Cathedral for Christmas mass. It was a wonderful and moving experience. The Cathedral was nicely decorated and added to the ambiance. As we recall, there really wasn't much open otherwise. We found an American bar that was open at night and a few touristy restaurants during the day and that was about it. It was still nice to stroll the sidewalks and look around. The next morning things were more lively. We stayed most of the day before departing to Verona. Christmas in Switzerland would have more of an impact with decor and activities, especially in a ski area. Save Venice for after the holiday. Before we left Munich, Christmas was all around. The markets, decorations, store fronts all decked out. It really added to the spirit of it all. Venice was much more laid back. Just our opinion!

Posted by
3594 posts

We spent one Christmas in Rome. As another poster mentioned, it is a family time. Be sure to get your meal arrangements lined up. December 26 is also a holiday in Italy, so you need to figure out your meals and what to do for that day. On that trip, we went to Venice just after Christmas. It was very cold (there were snow flurries), and the gondola rides were shut down. We joked that the gondoliers must have gone somewhere warm for their holiday.

Posted by
32732 posts

I haven't personally visited Venice in the winter, although I have at other parts of the year, but I have friends who have.

All they've ever said is that the churches in Venice are like a walk in refrigerator in the middle of winter, and the same when going outside but with the addition of the wind and frequent rain.

Posted by
312 posts

I have spent Christmas in Zermatt, and it was beautiful. We had our Christmas meal at the hotel so we did t have to worry about going out to find it (I can’t remember whether it was lunch or dinner). However, unless you are a skier, there isn’t really a huge amount to do other than walk around the town. The really big deal was taking the Gornergrat railway up the mountain to see the Matterhorn. We were really lucky as the weather was perfect, sunny with great visibility although -12C

Posted by
1386 posts

We spent the week before Christmas in Venice in 2014 and enjoyed goofy things like people's boats with reindeers and tinsel on them and we saw a rowing race down the Grand Canal with everybody dressed like Santa Claus. No crowds anywhere. It was not cold (according to our standards) but it was humid, so it's good to dress for that. Our previous week-long visit to Venice was in July 2001 and we thought December was far more fun and easy. There is nowhere on earth like Venice and it is well worth going when there are fewer people and cooler weather.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to everyone who replied! I appreciate your experiences and wisdom!

Posted by
1223 posts

Midnight Mass at the Carmini on Christmas Eve was pretty special, freezing cold, and the Christmas message is universal.

Also Christmas Day at Saint Georges with the Anglophone diaspora in Venice is fun.