Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Rome

My wife and I have a 5 night trip to Rome through reward points. We would like to go during the Christmas holiday since summer is too hot and during the rest of the year I teach and she goes to school. Is it better to go the week before Christmas, the week of Christmas, or the week of New Year's? By better, I mean crowds, weather, availability of attractions, etc. We are both interested in seeing a lot of the historical sights in Rome as well as soaking up the local atmosphere. Bonus question: Is a day trip out to Ostia Antica reasonable?

Posted by
4152 posts

All three of those weeks will be crowded so it doesn't make much of a difference. The sites will all be open. There will be closures on Christmas day and January 1rst of most of the sites and museums.

A day trip to Ostia Antica is very easy to do from Rome. Only takes about half an hour to get there.

Donna

Posted by
719 posts

Since you will be in the Heart of Christendom, there will be more Christmas stuff going on leading up to Christmas vs. the week after. To me, no matter which country I'm in, the week after Christmas seems a bit anticlimactic after all of the festivities leading up to the holiday. I'm a big Christmas fan, and that's just my take, though. Have a great time!