Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Rome

We’re going to Italy in December 2024, and will be in Rome 12/23 thru 12/29. Our apartment accommodations are secure. We are looking for budget cafe/restaurant recommendations as many are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and we’re trying to avoid the more well-known and high priced set-menu places that are actually open.
Based on your experience, are there certain neighborhoods where you may have encountered small eateries that were open on those days? - we want to keep it simple.
In lieu of eating out, we may just get a plethora of deli and bakery items, some wine, and create our own Christmas feast at our residence.
Also, we assume taxis will be available but are not sure of buses or metro. Thank you for any tips.

Posted by
37 posts

We spent Christmas in Sorrento a few years ago. We asked our rental hosts for recommendations several weeks early and she made reservations for us.

Posted by
4 posts

HI There, i am planning a Rome trip from 12/1/2024 - 12/12/2024, flying from LAX. I am excited, the weather seems like it will be cool but not too terrible. anyone on here travel to Rome in the first part of december? i am wondering what it was like at that time of year,,, i am trying to avoid the crazy summer crowds

Posted by
31 posts

Hi there, we were just in Rome from Dec 24 (arrived to Rome around 4pm by train) to Dec 31 of last year. The markets were open until 6pm on Christmas eve and some restaurants were open on Christmas day, however, we had reservation at the local restaurant made by airbnb owners. The weather was in the 60s all week when we were there, and we loved it. It was crowded in December, but according to the tour guys, they said nothing compares to the summer crowds. Public transportation operates as usual.