Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Italy

We are meeting up with our daughter after a semester of studying abroad, we will arrive just before Christmas and be staying through holiday for 7 days. She is studying in Perugia, what should we not miss and what should we avoid? Our trip is short and we want to make the most of it. We are an outdoor family.

Posted by
4152 posts

What you should not miss depends on what your interests are. You should get a good guide book and make a list of things that interest you. I could give you my list but if you don't like the things I like it would be useless to you. In 7 days you can fit a lot in so make your list and we can help you make a workable itinerary. donna

Posted by
1951 posts

Will you be staying the entire time in Perugia? Will you have a car? Have you bought or checked out from the library, the RS "Italy" guide? Just being in Italy is wonderful, so don't over plan-leave lots of room for stopping for coffee or a glass of wine during your day.

Posted by
11661 posts

We will be in Rome from Dec 22-29, and one helpful resource I found is the blog "Revealed Rome." Amanda has several entries pertinent to Christmas there. Also, the website/blog "Espresso Break" about Naples mentions some good ideas in that city. Assisi should be wonderful that time of year (we'll be there earlier in December) as that is where the presepio (nativity scene) was "invented" by St. Francis. I know Rome has two presepi museums/exhibits. From my reading, I understand there are Christmas markets in nearly every town, concerts, and of course the joy of just walking around these beautiful cities and enjoying the scene. We are also scoping out some hikes in Umbria (there are many books, online resources) and also laying out our urban hikes in Rome.