Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Italy

Hi everyone - this is my first time in the "To the Boot" forum! We are going to Italy for Christmas (northern Italy - most far south we are thinking would be Florence). Our "plan" had been to spend two nights (Christmas Eve and Day in Florence and then move elsewhere for two nights and one last night in Milan (we begin our trip in Munich arriving 22 Dec and depart 29 Dec). I was just perusing this forum and see "if you don't love art museum no need to go to Florence". We are wanderers - like to walk and see sights, eat and drink. We usually like more historical sights - just returned from Germany and Austria and loved the fortress in Salzburg and my 12 year old was very interested in Nazi sights in Nurnberg. We like to move around a lot - two nights in one place is tops for us. As we travel lightly we have no issues with one nighters as long as the train ride in between isn't horrid. So - I am babbling. Our tentative plan is: Munich for first night and then a train to (possibly) Verona, then Florence for two nights? Then two nights somewhere between Florence and Milan, last night Milan. Option B is to take night train from Munich to Florence and skip Verona. I just can't tell the schedule or expense this soon.

Posted by
818 posts

HA! I guess I forgot the question! Would Florence be the best bet for Christmas or would we be better suited in another city? We have traveled all around Germany, France, Poland, Czech Rep, Portugal, The Netherlands and Belgium but never Italy so I guess I am just looking for suggestions on cool places to be in Northern Italy at Christmastime! THANKS!

Posted by
8683 posts

Spent Christmas in Florence in 2010. In fact Christmas day was the start of the RS 7 day tour. Loved watching "It's A Wonderful Life" in Italian on Christmas Eve. Florence was lovely but I think you'd like Siena better.