Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Italy 2011 itinerary suggestions

Hi all, Would like to get suggestions from the group for the following: interesting places? Family is used to travel in Europe (will be wife, myself, and 3 sons (15-20 years old). Maybe some circular route back to Rome? anything special to see off the beaten path around this holiday week?: Thurs 22 December Arrive Rome FCO airport 11am Hotel? Maybe direct to other city? Fri 23 Sat 24 Christmas Eve Suggestions? Sun 25 Christmas Day Suggestions? Mon 26 Tue 27 Wed 28 Thur 29 Fri 30 Rome Last Day Hotel? near airport Sat 31 Depart Rome for home 6:30am (UGH!) Thanks,
Mike

Posted by
524 posts

What does your family want to do? What do the boys like? Are you comfortable with a car or do you want to go by train? Maybe, also what you don't want to do?!

Posted by
11338 posts

Hi Michael.
We are spending Christmas week in Rome, the end of a 4 week trip that starts in Venice. I'd suggest you stay in Rome the 22nd-26th. Be sure to get to Piazza Navona and see the Christmas Market there. Here's a great blog posting to help you http://www.revealedrome.com/2010/12/romes-best-holiday-events-christmas-natale-december-january.html. For the 25th-26th, the traditional "sights" are mostly closed, indeed starting at Noon the 24th (from what I understand), much of Rome starts to close down for the holiday. We are going to the Borghese the morning of the 24th, since it will be closed the 25th and 26th. The 25th, we thought we'd take the Rick Steves' Ghetto Walk since that area should be "open," then have a nice lunch. My research tells me to make reservations for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day because it is popular to eat out and a lot of places close. Here's another link for perusal http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/rome-spending-christmas-in-rome.html. Also open the 25th and 26th are the Presepi Museum (Church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta, Via di Tor de' Conti, 31, nearby the Colosseum). Presepi are Nativity Scenes and very popular in Italy. There is another Presepi exhibit near Piazza del Popolo open on the holiday, too. And you can walk walk walk and enjoy Rome that way, open or not. You might consider spending your 3-4 open days (26th-29th) in Sorrento. You can see Naples, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast from there. A little warmer, perhaps, nice seaside location, no car required.