Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Florence

I'll be in Florence for 3 days; 12/23-26. Any suggestions?

Posted by
10344 posts

You'll probably want to check all websites you can find for the attractions you're interested in visiting, to see which ones are closed during the Christmas period.

Posted by
11 posts

Kent, I absolutely have been checking the websites, guidebooks, etc. I just find the RS regulars have got more personal info, which leads to things not found in the "main stream media" (no political implications intended)

Posted by
1501 posts

I would imagine that Christmas could be difficult. So is Easter. I've never been in Italy for Christmas, I have been in Italy (Rome) for Easter. Many restaurants were closed Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (which is also a Holiday) We called our hotel in advance and asked them for recommendations for restaurants that were open, and we made reservations before we ever left the States. So, I think the best thing to do is to make a phone call to your hotel to see if restaurants may be closed, and possibly get some recommendations for places to get a reservation for dinner on on the difficult dates at restaurants that ARE open. Seriously, an international phone call is very inexpensive these days.

If someone on here (Roberto maybe) chimes in here with more local knowledge than I have about Florence, then you will have a better answer than I can give you. If you find out that many things will be closed, my advice will be to rent an apartment, so you will be able to have your own Christmas Dinner, after shopping at the uncomparable Mercado Centrale! Use AirbNb, or VRBO.com

The Good news is that the Piazzas, and Churches will all be open, and I can only imagine how beautiful Florence would be
at Christmas. I love Florence, and would love to live there.

Posted by
11613 posts

Check the individual museum websites for opening hours on those days; I would expect shorter hours on 12/24 and closings on 12/25-26, but some may be open with limited hours. Churches may have restricted hours for visitors if they increase the number of Masses on those days, you will porobably be allowed to enter but not walk around during the service.

Most restaurants will require reservations.

Posted by
11 posts

I obviously made this too general (newby mistake I guess). I'm doing all of the research possible on the net, guidebooks, etc., so I generally know what's closed, that I'll need dinner reservations, etc. I'm looking for specifics, so let's try this:

Duomo, St. Mark's or St James for midnight mass on Christmas Eve?

Posted by
1501 posts

Ha! If it were me, I'd go to Santa Croce! I absolutely love that Church, and it's where Florence's favorite sons are all buried! Soorry for the confusing answer above.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would go to the Duomo for midnight mass.

Posted by
295 posts

There is a great Christmas market in front of Santa Croce. You might want to attend a concert. La Pergola is a small pretty theater that would be worth seeing if they had a seasonal concert. There is also the new modern Opera house. I would also look at the nativity set up outside of the Duomo and the big decorated tree. All the streets will have festive lights. Great view from the café on the top floor of the department store Rinascente. Restaurants will be open for Christmas eve and Christmas day but you will need a reservation. Midnight mass. Uffizi should be open on the 24th and 26th but not the 25th. You could try Trattoria 4 Leoni for dinner. Hope this helps.

Posted by
11 posts

I checked with Trattoria 4 Leoni & they're open on Christmas, but on TripAdvisor they come in at #421 in Florence, which makes me nervous. I assume since you recommend them that it's better than that?

Posted by
64 posts

Greetings baumerandy,

I will also be in Florence for Christmas this year. This Walks of Italy blog was helpful to me. We decided on the Christmas day mass at the Duomo (featuring the Gregorian chants).

We plan to grocery shop the day before an cook in the apartment we've rented on Christmas day. As for the Trip Adviser rankings, I don't pay much attention to that. The reviews for Trattoria 4 Leoni are overwhelmingly positive (with over 1,150 of the approximately 1,500 rating it as "very good" or "excellent").

When I travel, I really pack my schedule... so I'm actually looking forward to just being in Florence on Christmas. We'll use the time to walk around the city, along the river, whatever - no museums, no shopping, no crowded restaurants - it'll be a little break from an otherwise busy itinerary.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy it.