Please sign in to post.

Christmas Day in Rome

Any recommendations for what to do that day? At this point the thought was to just wander around outside and see what restaurant might be open when we get to dinner time but if there are more specific suggestions I'd appreciate it. Also, are there churches that are particularly beautiful for the Christmas Eve service (not the Vatican, thank you.) I appreciate your help in advance.

Erika

Posted by
23546 posts

Hopefully someone local will check in. When we were in Spain over Christmas a few years ago we found everything closed down tight on Christmas Day. A few hotel restaurants were open but they were packed. We were advised by our tour guide from the previous day that everything would be closed so lay in a few picnic supplies. We did and that worked very well. I have "heard" that some minority restaurants sometimes are open. No experience.

Posted by
11634 posts

Rome restaurants are open and busy. Make a reservation. The restaurants in the Ghetto do a thriving business and we have seen people turned away when they did not have a reservation. Ditto Christmas Eve when many also dine out, usually for a traditional seafood meal.

Our approach to Christmas Day there was to wander. The famous nativity display was open in years past. Hopefully it is this year. https://www.romeing.it/100-presepi-nativity-scenes-rome/.

As to church services, there are several in English. Depends on the religion you would like to experience. This is an old list but a starting point. You can check the websites of the various churches
https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/romes-christmas-church-services-in-english.html.

Posted by
344 posts

You might want to do some food shopping previous to Christmas Eve for snack items to keep in your room and create a special group of easy hors d’oeuvres in case you are unable to find a reservation in advance—-or if the cost of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner are too pricey for your budget. We’ve done it and it was fun to be inventive. Enjoy your trip.