Please sign in to post.

Chiusi - Sorrento September 2016

Hi,
Each year about this time I ask for help and you always come through! Thank you!

We are flying into Rome and staying 2 nights in the city. We then are thinking about going to Sorrento for two nights. Then move and set up a headquarters in Tuscany for 4 nights, we are thinking Chiusi because of rail connections. We do not plan to rent a car.

Question 1; Is this a workable plan?

Question 2; Can anyone recommend apartments or B&Bs in Sorrento and Chiusi?

Thanks, Bill
Springport, Michigan

Posted by
11363 posts

Sorrento for two nights is a bit of a schlep. It will take you at least half a day from Rome hotel to Sorrento hotel, then you have one full day there, and it will take another 5-6 hours to get to wherever you plan to stay in Tuscany, blowing most of a day. For 8 nights in Italy, 7 full days of sightseeing, you have 2 rather substantial travel days to Sorrento and then to Tuscany.

Is there something specific you want to do or see in the Sorrento/Naples area? It might be p[ossible to accomplish via a day tour out of Rome. We recently had guests in Rome that wanted to see Pompeii and a touch of the Amalfi Coast but they really did not have time to devote to moving to Sorrento to do it. They stayed in Rome and set up a private driver and a tour of Pompeii as well. In a 12 hour day, they were able to hit the spots they wanted to see.

As to Chiusi, yes it has rail, but what do you want to see and do? Tuscany outside of Florence is tough without a car. Will you take buses to other towns or ????

Finally, when are you traveling?

EDIT: Just saw Sept 2016 in the header. Rather then try to find a place to stay by contacting them one at a time, this late in the game, use a booking engine, like Booking.com. They will showyou availability, which will be slim at this point, I fear.

Posted by
65 posts

Hi Laurel
Many thanks for your comments and advice. I see what you are saying about the time involved it getting from Sorrento to Tuscany, it will kill a good part of one day. We will be in Italy September 26 until flying out October 5.

Thank you again.

Bill