Please sign in to post.

Cheese

I am going to be in Sicily in September and would like to buy some hard cheese to take home. We'll be staying in Taormina. Does anyone know of a place that will package the cheese so that it can be taken on the plane?

Posted by
7570 posts

The packaging is less important than the fact that it is an aged hard cheese, which is not an issue bringing back. Many places will tell you that it needs to be vacuum packed, this is not hard to find if you are buying a partial wheel, and is preferred from a transport standoint, but if you buy a full wheel that is wax coated, that is fine as well.

Posted by
1446 posts

We bought a small wheel of cheese in Pienza and they vacuum packed it for us & we had no problems bringing it home. Paul is right; most places will vacuum pack it. Enjoy.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the info. I bought cheese in Florence on my last trip, but waiting until I get to Sicily means I won't have to lug a heavy cheese around for so many days.

Posted by
2349 posts

Vacuum packaging should not be necessary for a hard cheese, but it will prevent the rest of your luggage from smelling like old socks.

Posted by
791 posts

FYI, the Italian term for vacuum packed is "Sotto vuoto" (pronounced "so-toe vwoe-toe"). Any decent cheese shop should be able to do this for you.