Please sign in to post.

Charging Electronics

We are finally travelling again! Our converters are older and all our electronics are now USB. I have looked and there are converters with just USB plugs with the two prong European electronic plug. Has anyone had success with these? We have Iphones, Ipads, Garmin watches and an Amazon Fire we will probably need charged while we are there. TIA

Posted by
93 posts

Just an idea that we like to use when traveling.

Bring a small 4-5 plug power strip and you only have to plug that into a converter, all your items now plug into your US power strip.

Posted by
23340 posts

That is not a good idea especially if the power strip has a built in surge protection. And you absolutely do not need a converter for any item that is rate dual voltage. You could bring a plain power strip and a plug adapter. But no more. We don't even do that.

Posted by
93 posts

Frank, that is exactly what I meant - a power strip and an adapter. Not sure what you thought I meant..........and we never had a problem!

Posted by
267 posts

I use a charger (Anker) with 4 USB ports plugged in to a 2 prong European adapter. High capacity and quick charging using a single wall plug. No "converter " needed. Leave all the wall warts at home.

Posted by
1816 posts

I use a multi port USB charger. It has a US style plug and I take a UK style and/or a euro style adapter plug. I also bring enough cords to charge my devices at once. The charger itself has a cord to plug into the wall so it’s not dangling from the outlet.

Amazon Multi port charger

Posted by
4439 posts

there are several ways to do this and they all work about the same, just make sure you have the proper plug shape for Italy and wherever else you are travelling. In fact you should bring ALL the different plug adapters, just in case. And bring some with you on the plane and on trains since you might be charging there as well. Nowadays it's charge, charge, charge all the time.

I would recommend bringing at least a 2-fer splitter so you can "share" an outlet with some kind soul on the train or at the airport, since outlets can be hard to find.

Posted by
32220 posts

A bit more information would be helpful.....

• Are you using a Voltage Converter along with Plug Adapters to connect to the chargers supplied with the products you're using?
  • Using the normal chargers, the newer iPhones use a USB-C to connect to the charging unit and then Lightning to connect to the phone. I suspect iPads are much the same. I'm not sure about the Garmin or Amazon products?

One possible solution would be to buy a BASIC Power Bar (NO surge protection or other electronics) and connect to the European outlet with a Plug Adapter. Connect your normal chargers to that. You'll have to check EACH of your chargers to ensure they're rated for use on 240 VAC electrical systems (most are these days).

Posted by
15224 posts

You have gotten answers all over the place.

How many devices do you have and how many will have to be charged daily?

Next, posters need to learn the proper terms:

adapter--changes the plug so it fits in the wall socket.

converter--changes the electricity (North America use 110v, most of Europe uses 220v)

With most modern USB charged devices, you no longer need a converter.

If all your devices are now USB charged, then all you need it a multi-usb charging device. No need to take all your original chargers. There are many of them on Amazon.

You might also think of taking an extension cord as some older hotels have few wall receptacles and their location may not be as convenient as you would like.

Make sure you take enough charging cords and then add one more in case one goes bad. (it's happened to me.)