Please sign in to post.

Revising our itinerary in Tuscany....Need advice

My husband and I will be in Italy in September for 14 days celebrating our 40th anniversary and my 60th B-day. Our original plan was to spend 5 days in Tuscany at the same place we stayed in San Casciano in Val di Pesa when we were there in 2010.

However, we are hearing so many recommendations about the area around Sienna.....Montepulciano, Buonconvento, etc.....that we are seriously considering changing plans.

We have booked a Friday night "dinner at the farm" at Castello di Verrazzano. Can anyone suggest a place further south that is within 45 minutes of there? OR can you suggest a place that will offer something comparable if we stay further south.

We would like to stay in a small town/village (similar to San Casciano) as opposed to an agriturismo so as to be able to walk to restaurants and places to have an aperitivo, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Posted by
11658 posts

Since you have already experienced Chianti, why not stay in Montalcino, an attractive hill town with great wine and history? From there you can drive the beautiful route through Pienza to Montepulciano as a day trip. This means skipping the dinner you booked, which I hope is cancellable, but you will find many lovely new experiences in the Val d'Orcia.

I can also highly recommend the agriturismo Poggio Etrusco near Montepulciano. Pamela Sheldon-Johns, one of the owners, is a cookbook author and runs cooking classes. That might be fun for you.

Posted by
15874 posts

Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, etc. are all good, however if you want to get there from the Castello di' Verrazzano after dinner in 45 minutes, that's not going to happen. You are looking at almost two hours driving from the Castello di Verrazzano to any of the aforementioned locations.

Posted by
336 posts

I can absolutly recommend agriturismo podere cunina, 5 minutes from buonconvento.
A tuscan dream agriturismo held by the nicest people, at an affordable price considering what it is.
Go read the reviews on Tripadvisor, they are unanimous.
We were there 2 weeks ago for 6 nights.

Posted by
336 posts

Oh, sorry, i hadn't read the last part on no agriturismo.
If you want to be in a village, my vote would go to Montepulciano probably.

Posted by
11658 posts

Ah, I skipped over "no agriturismo!" Poggio Etrusco is only a mile or two out of town.... In Montalcino there are several charming choices where you can walk to many restaurants.