Please sign in to post.

cell phones in Italy

I've read many posts and am still confused. We need a phone just to call landlords and tour guides to make connections. Probably will use it less than ten times. What would you recommend.

Posted by
32213 posts

Susan,

Another option would be to obtain a quad-band, unlocked GSM phone off E-Bay or other online sites, and then using something like This Service as the SIM is FREE and the calling rates are very reasonable (IMHO). They also offer phone and SIM packages.

You could also buy an inexpensive Phone when you arrive in Italy. There are numerous shops in the airport and various parts of the cities. You could also pick one up when you arrive at Termini station, as there are shops there. However, keep in mind that the handset menus and so on will probably be in Italian to begin with, so you may need some help from the "sales associate" to help re-configure the phone.

If you obtain a phone prior to departure, be sure to check the Charger to ensure it's designed for "world operation". A Plug Adapter will be required (the model for Italy uses two round pins). If you pick up a Cell phone when you arrive, the Charger will be configured for operation in that area.

Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

You're probably going to remain confused. You'll get lots of different opinions about what you should do. It boils down to a trade off between simplicity (which could be more expensive) versus lower cost (which is more complicated, at least for some of us).

The advocates of the lower cost option will say that their approach is not complicated, and it probably isn't to them. But I'm looking at renting a phone through rebelfone.com as a simple option. I'm not recommending that company yet - just saying we're considering it because it seems as if it would be very simple.

Good luck.

Posted by
1449 posts

before you can get useful answers you need to tell us who you have cell service with in the US.

Posted by
49 posts

I went with Telestial (telestial.com) -- it was fine for our uses, which seem about what you're looking at. I wanted to have something simple and it was.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for your help. Has any one used telestial.com or mobal.com?

Posted by
32213 posts

Susan,

I'd highly recommend checking the websites for the various "travel phone" firms, so that you have a CLEAR idea on their rates. Check the websites for Roam Simple, Call In Europe, Cellular Abroad, Mobal and Telestial.

When I last checked, I found that Mobal was one of the most expensive, so I used one of the others for my trip this year and was very pleased with the service. I already have an unlocked quad-band GSM phone, so just needed the SIM. If you want the details, send me a PM.

Cheers!

Posted by
3112 posts

Another option is to stop at the Smartphone shop in Rome airport and buy a cheap phone. TIM or Vodafone are almost always running a promotion (check their websites for current promotions). For 40 euro, I got a basic Nokia phone with a TIM SIM card and 5 euro of prepaid time. Prepaid time can be added in 5 euro increments at some tabaccaio shops and in 10 euro increments at any TIM shop. Minutes expire in 11 months if no new time is added. Not sure of the per minute cost, but I made several calls on my first trip with it and only used about half the 5 euro of prepaid time.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks so much for all your help. I just have a tracfone at home, so will need to get a phone here or there. Will check into all the suggestions. Thanks again.

Posted by
6 posts

Susan, I just bought a National Geographic International Travel phone from Cellular Abroad. I have not used it yet, but will be using it on a cruise that visits Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Africa in September. It is supposed to work in all those countries. It was $99, and costs about $1 a minute (prepaid air time) to use. No monthly fees. If it works well, I think it will be a good investment for future travels as well. Good luck!

Posted by
49 posts

I mentioned earlier that I'd used Telestial and was pleased with it. It was very easy to use, shipping was fast, and I could either phone or text while in Italy.

I'll be able to change out the SIM/TIM card next time we travel abroad. It was definitely much cheaper than the Nat'l Geographic option or the AAA one I saw on their website.