Please sign in to post.

Cell Phones in Italy

We are visiting Rome and Tuscany in April and wondered what is the most economical way to obtain a cell phone to make phone calls within Italy. I have an I-phone in the US but it appears that even by activating the sim card, the cost pe minute in Italy would be quite high. Is it possible to buy or rent a local cell phone once we get there?

Posted by
1021 posts

I have no personal experience, but I have read that prepaid sim data and phone costs are cheap in Italy. TIM is mentioned frequently. I suggest you research and post in the Itsly and Rome forums on Trip Advisor to get advice from the local experts.

Posted by
32228 posts

Daniel, There are a few options you could consider. Depending on which model of iPhone you're using, which network you're with and what you'll be using the phone for, it may be reasonably cost effective to use your phone in Europe. For calls within Italy, the cheapest rates will be with a phone purchased there. However, according to some recent posts here, it's now necessary to have a Codice Fiscale (local tax number) before buying either a Phone or a SIM card in Italy. It's apparently not difficult to get, but an annoyance I'd rather not deal with. You could also use a "travel SIM", either in your iPhone (if it's unlocked), with a cheap phone bought on E-Bay or with a phone purchased from the travel phone firm. In addition to the two companies mentioned in the previous reply, you could also look at Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Call In Europe, Tru-Phone, EuroBuzz or others. Happy travels!

Posted by
11294 posts

For more information on local Italian wireless plans, go to http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/italy.php At the bottom of that page, you'll see how to get a Codice Fiscale. When I was in Venice a few years ago, they needed my passport and my Codice Fiscale to sell me a SIM card (I chose the WIND Senza Scatto plan, because per my research on Prepaid GSM, it had the best rates for my needs). It then took about an hour for it to be activated, and I was all set. I already had an unlocked quad band phone, so that worked well for me. If you can get hold of one (maybe you or someone you know has an old "dumbphone" that is quad band and that they can get the carrier to unlock), that's the cheapest way. Or, you can buy a simple phone in Italy (like the "go phones" sold here).