Please sign in to post.

Cell phones in Italy

i am a yearly traveler to italy and i want to use my cell phone.i just bought a motorola z6c world edition phone from verizon. i have 3 questions. can i have this phone unlocked to accept an italian phone sim card? verizon told me the phone cannot be unlocked. secondly, will i still be able to use the phone on verizon after i return to the usa? will there be any problems from verizon?
thanks, rbciao.

Posted by
56 posts

Hi Ralph,

This is a question that should really be directed to Verizon. However, it is a frequently asked question here on these travel boards.

First, if Verizon is saying it cannot be unlocked, than it cannot be unlocked. Verizon operates on a different system than Europe (CDMA vs GSM) which is why you cannot use it there. They do have an international phone program where you can rent a phone from them to use while overseas; all charges go directly onto your regular bill so there is no confusion, etc. You can find all the details on their website, www.verizonwireless.com

I would just check with them directly regarding your inquiry.

Posted by
32216 posts

Ralph,

A few answers to your questions and some comments.....

First of all as you probably know, your phone will work on the GSM networks in Europe, as it's equipped with the two Euro frequency bands.

Although the Verizon rep. indicated that the phone can't be unlocked to accept an Italian SIM, I suspect that it is possible (I'd have to do some checking on that model). However, doing so could have consequences with your Verizon wireless plan. In my experience the majority of "front line" sales staff are not always well informed (but there are exceptions).

I suspect they discourage customers from unlocking their phones, so they'll be forced to use the roaming plan provided by Verizon. One website that I checked quoted rates for voice calls at $1.29/minute or $2.49/minute. If those are correct, they would be about 25-30% more than I pay when roaming with a GSM network (GSM network operators may get preferential rates?).

No, there shouldn't be any problems using your phone when you return to the U.S. as it will be accessing the Verizon CDMA network. The Z6C is not capable of accessing North American GSM networks.

I'm not clear on what "problems" you were referring to from Verizon? If you unlock your phone to use another SIM, there could be "breach of contract" issues but you'd have to check with Verizon (or a Lawyer).

If you do travel with Verizon GSM roaming, I believe you'll have to add global service to your plan. Again, check with them regarding the costs.

Good luck!