Please sign in to post.

cell phones

I will be going to Italy for 3 weeks in late April. I have 2 old Nokia phones that I take with me that I bought in England several years ago. I plan to buy SIM cards at Terminal 3 at Rome airport where I have researched there is a cell phone store. Does any one know if I will still be able to get SIM cards for old non smart phone phones there? I had no problem in Dublin last year.

Posted by
1 posts

A few years I was in your position with an older phone bought in U.K. and really needed a phone at the airport had used a TIM sim previously. Tried to buy same at airport told could not do that any more
and was sold acompletely useless overpriced new one. A few days later went to Tim shop bought a SIM card with credit for about 20 euros and used it for two months topping up as needed by helpful Tim staff who very kindly organised English on phone as I very
techniclly challanged. I had previously used Tim for 8 months while living in Tuscany. Motto :- don't be caught out at the airport.
Vogue Australian

Posted by
8889 posts

SIM cards are usually in "all sizes", you pop out the correct sized piece of plastic from the card. Cell phones use the same standard all over Europe, so that shouldn't be an issue (unlike US phones that can use different standards).
But, there are 2 possible issues:
1) Is the phone unlocked? If not, it will only work with SIM cards from the company you bought it off. You may be able to get it unlocked at a phone shop.
2) If you bought it in the UK, it will have a UK plug on the charger. You then need a UK/Italian plug adapter (not a US/Italian one) in order to charge it up. Or a different charger.

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks for such helpful advise, especially about watching out for being scammed. The phones are unlocked and I do have all the needed adapters; the issue is whether I can still get a SIM card for my old phone.