Please sign in to post.

cell phones

My cell phone will not work in Italy. I would like one for emergency purposes (late getting to hotel, a number where family could reach me, etc) What are the best options?
Thank you

Posted by
32209 posts

Gail,

Which cell network are you with?

You could certainly buy an unlocked quad-band GSM phone from E-Bay, and use it with a prepaid SIM. However, if you only need the phone for this visit, it wouldn't be much use after the trip was over.

The easiest method would be to rent a phone from Call In Europe, Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad or similar firms that provide "travel phones". They also sell SIM's for those that already have GSM phones. Their rate structures provide consistent rates for western Europe (prices are higher in the east), regardless of country. Incoming calls are usually free. If you decide to try one of these, be sure to carefully review their rate structures and terms, so that you'll have a clear idea on costs.

One point to mention regarding the "travel phones" is that usually these are provided with a European phone number. That means that if your family has to reach you, they would have to call Europe and pay the long distance charges.

It's a bit easier in that regard for those travelling via cellular roaming with a North American cell network. Family and friends simply call their regular number, and the network will "find" the phone regardless of where it is. Rates are higher for this type of service, however it's a reasonable solution if one is only planning to make very occasional voice calls. I use text messaging extensively when travelling to keep in touch with family back home, and it's very inexpensive.

Good luck!

Posted by
1449 posts

contact your cell carrier; they have phones you can rent cheaply or even get for free (they get plenty on the airtime charges). Or ask around to see if any friends have a spare cellphone. I keep an old one on hand to loan out to friends who need one. Buy a SIM, either ahead of time or when in Italy, and plop it into the phone.

Posted by
881 posts

I'm a fan of just finding a junk phone on Craigslist, etc (most AT&T phones seem to be compatible), and getting the SIM card.

Luckily for this last trip our old AT&T phone we don't use any more worked just fine! =) See if you have a friend with an old phone they aren't using any more...

Posted by
144 posts

Gail, I have the same problem but when I bought my railpasses from Rail Europe recently they sent an offer for a free Europe SIM card. I don't know yet if my phone is adaptable but I'm going to call and find out. You might want to check it out too.
Katherine