Please sign in to post.

Cell Phones

I assume that most of you if you need a cell phone, buy a pay as you go in Italy. Any recomendations on which brand is easiest and reasonalble in price?
Do you buy in Italy or buy before you go? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance, Jon

Posted by
32212 posts

Jon, Before providing specific information, it would help to know whether you presently have a Cell phone, and which network you're with? I've been using a plan with one of the "travel phone" firms for the last few years, and it's worked well so far. The plan is "post-paid" with calls charged to a credit card, so I never have to worry about "topping up" or running out of minutes in the middle of a call. I don't know if it's the cheapest option, but the costs have been quite reasonable so far, and it works well for me. Cheers!

Posted by
8154 posts

Check the documentation on your phone to see if it's a GSM or multi channel phone. They'll work overseas. You'll need to get with your provider to get it "unlocked." Then, you can buy a SIMs card in Italy for E10 or so to get an Italian phone #. Then, you can make local calls to hotels, restaruants, etc. Use the minutes up, and you can renew the time. You can also purchase an overseas calling card in Italy that you call from a hotel or the above mentioned cell phone, and it'll route you to a U.S. phone # at very low minute by minute rates. Another option is to get a worldwide calling plan with your cell phone provider. My AT&T phone would run $5.99 per month and $1 per minute. Talk fast! When you get home, discontinue the service. One trick is to disable texting and data services, or they can really run up if you're using GPS, etc. You can also buy a texting package reasonably. A fourth option is to take a netbook or laptop and an old style phone hooked up to MagicJack via WiFi. Calling home is then free. You don't even dial "1". Just dial the 10 digit phone #.
I've fired my local phone company, and MagicJack Plus does a great job.

Posted by
81 posts

I use TIM.
I don't remember if you have to reside in italy to buy a sim card actually. probably not, it's just a question that came to my mind. i can ask my friend who has a cellphone shop, but not before tuesday. i'll let you know if you're still interested.

Posted by
1152 posts

Jon, I posted this reply a few months ago. You might find the links useful. You might want to check out these posts from the past year. Prepaid Italy SIM Card Italy SIM cards Sim card cost SIM Card for Italy Phones in Italy Which cellular network in Italy? Older post, but with updated information at end: Getting Italian SIM Card for cell phone? Important Information Although addressed to an iPad, this one does contain some information about phone usage, too. iPad in Italy?

Posted by
653 posts

I agree with Cristina, I bought a TIM phone last summer and paid a small amount for minutes. In 10 weeks I spent about $50 on the phone and minutes; I used it to confirm hotel reservations. It's a simple phone (no camera, it does text) for about 30 euro, plus minutes.