Please sign in to post.

Cell phone use in Italy

I've read posts about eSim cards for iPhones and have a basic question. Once I activate an eSim card from Vodaphone, Airolo or other entity, how do I ensure any calls to my phone number only come through on Whats App or FaceTime and not my basic cell phone plan, as the phone numbers will be the same?

Posted by
459 posts

I only know enough to be dangerous so fair warning.

The answer is...
Because you will have toggled the phone's SIM to the new eSIM. You can switch back to your normal SIM if you want to use your normal phone number to make and receive a call, but they don't run concurrently. The phone only allows one SIM to run at a given time.

It's possible that you might get a "cel" call if you're in a wifi area and you phone has a different app that allows some sort of wifi calling. But that doesn't cost you minutes so it wouldn't matter anyway for purposes of international roaming.

Posted by
1525 posts

We have used Airalo esim twice on our iPhone. To activate the eSIM go to settings, cellular. Under sims, turn your primary number off and your eSIM on. I also turned data roaming off.

Phone calls must be through WiFi such as WhatsApp. And I think the phone numbers are not the same as there is no phone number for data only eSIMs. WhatsApp is WiFi and doesn’t use your phone number.

Posted by
1843 posts

I can only answer for FaceTime but I suspect that WhatsApp works similarly. The person initiating the call needs to call via the appropriate app. For instance on my iPhone when I look at a contact there is an option to place a FaceTime audio or video call.

Posted by
267 posts

I haven't used an eSIM yet but I understand there are different types:
1. Data only - you turn off cellular data but call and texts go through your normal cell phone. I think this may be a newer offering.
2. Local number + data - you have a new local (Italian) number for phone calls. Maybe this makes sense of you are somewhere for a long time or go somewhere often.

I am going for option 1 because my bank texts or calls on my phone number. They won't text or call an international number.

I think there is more information on the technology channel of the forum. Others with more knowledge should correct me, if needed.

Posted by
459 posts

Just to clarify...

Your cel number stays linked with your normal old SIM.

Your new eSIM will have a new and different phone number or no phone number if it's just a Data eSIM. That data-only eSIM is what you'll use for your WhatApp calls and FaceTime.

Posted by
1057 posts

I had my first experience with an eSIM (Turkey) this week, as well as helping my visitors buy and activate eSIMs here in Italy over the last two months. As it was new to all of us, we struggled all 3 times and in fact I failed to switch over to my Turkish eSIM for the first two days after purchase. So here are my tips:

Tip 1: be sure to Settings/Cellular and turn the eSIM ON and your original SIM OFF, as described above.

Tip 2: next, turn your whole phone off and back on so that it picks up the new carrier. This is the step I missed and somehow it still used my Italian SIM even though I had turned it off in settings. It hadn't picked up the change until I forced it by the restart.

Burned up my 50 Euros credit on my Italian plan to learn this lesson. Now I know, hope it saves you some money and aggravation.