Please sign in to post.

Cell phone in Italy

I've been reading and want to see if I understand this now. We have a cell phone (not a smart phone) that my husband just got unlocked. If we get a SIM card we can use this in Italy for calls/text. We can get the card once we get to Italy?

Thanks.

Linda

Posted by
1506 posts

Does your cell phone operate on the frequencies used in Europe? They're different from those used in the US. I think the US uses 850 and 1900, Europe uses 900 and 1800. We have an unlocked quad band phone which works on all four frequencies. If that is your case, you can buy a SIM card either at the airport or when you arrive in a town. We use our phone only for calls and have had no problems.

Posted by
9 posts

Try a TIM store or the tabacci shops. It is about 30 euros.

Posted by
833 posts

The SIM card at TIM is not as expensive as Judith says, in my experience. I bought one for 10€ and that included 5€ of calling credit. Not sure if you're landing in Rome or elsewhere, but the stores are all over. Just as a note, you will need to present your passport.

Posted by
715 posts

roninrome.com has a useful section on cellphones in Italy.

Posted by
32201 posts

Linda,

It would help to have more information on the phone you'll be using. As Roberto mentioned, is it a quad-band GSM model???

Also, be sure to verify that the phone charger is designed for use on 220 VAC electrical systems. If you look on the power cube, it should say "Input Voltage 100-240 VAC". If that's the case, you'll only need an inexpensive Plug Adaptor to use in Europe.